PDA

View Full Version : mouse wheel zoom workaround?

digitalreject
11-15-2007, 06:57 AM
ok well lets make it clear yes i have a scroll wheel on my mouse no it doesnt work under linux dont even bother trying to tell me how to get it working it wont ive tried everything under the sun it just wont work now heres my question how would i go about remapping my mouse wheel to my keyboard i dont use the numbpad so it is where i would like to put it i dont care where on the numbpad or how it works as long as i can zoom in and out in the game i tried to find a keybindings cfg in my regnum folder no dice maybe i missed something but if i cant edit the game controls to do this then maybe i can do it in linux itself please help

dethkloc
11-15-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm really biting my tongue right now trying to resist the urge to try to explain how to fix the scroll issue. I've had that so many times in those *other* distros.

digitalreject
11-15-2007, 07:13 AM
if you honestly have the solution great im all for it but ive read page after page ive tried 9 different xorg.conf mouse setting ive tried imwhel and evdev no dice and ive already been on the irc help channel for my distro and all they did was point me to the same things ive already done and give me grief cause its a microsoft mouse but really if you know the solution im all ears im just tired of outdated misinformation btw its xorg 7.2 and a microsoft optical blue usb corded

amade
11-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Another way to zoom in and out is to press both mouse buttons together and move your mouse up and down to zoom. Hth.
But it wouldn't hurt to hear out dethkloc's solution in case it's one you haven't heard of before :P

digitalreject
11-15-2007, 07:31 AM
nice now i feel like a blithering idiot although it wouldnt hurt to have the controls clearly posted somewhere in the game or config :P and no i dont have a problem hearing out dethkloc i have a problem with people telling me to try things that dont work ive been doing that for three days and my temper has just gotten a little short on this particular issue if dethkloc honestly has the *real* solution than sweet id love to hear it ive been trying to figure it out off and on for three years now :P

klixon
11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Could you pastebin (http://pastebin.org/) you /etc/xorg.conf?

And maybe you /var/log/xorg.<screen>.log...

Drah
11-15-2007, 12:30 PM
I use the both-mouse-button method by choice ever since I learned about it. It's quicker than the mouse-wheel. ;)

dethkloc
11-15-2007, 06:56 PM
what Klixon said

saxtro
11-16-2007, 01:37 AM
he is telling you to paste your xorg.conf
use this command
$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep -A 6 -B 4 mouse
and paste the output
mine is and mouse wheel work
Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Kiirani
11-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Hmm, you really can't get the scroll wheel working? Is there anything special about it or is it just a plain old wheel? It's possible that if it has special functions microsoft set the mouse up to disable the scrollwheel if the correct driver isn't used (I have a keyboard of theirs, various buttons would not even send a keypress under linux)

I've not set up a usb mouse under linux before, but the snippet pasted above should work fine, apart from the protocol it's almost identical to mine (although if you want the left+right and drag trick to work, you need to leave emulate3buttons ON)

NightTwix
11-19-2007, 05:47 PM
(although if you want the left+right and drag trick to work, you need to leave emulate3buttons ON)

nope, when you enable that, then pressing both mousebuttons will result in a middlemouse click.
It might work anyway if Regnum captures the mouseclicks before X does it but it works fine without this option

Kiirani
11-24-2007, 07:29 PM
nope, when you enable that, then pressing both mousebuttons will result in a middlemouse click.
It might work anyway if Regnum captures the mouseclicks before X does it but it works fine without this option

Hmmm. In fact you're right. I forget that middle mouse + drag is not actually equal scroll wheel... I'm used to using it like that on my laptop.