PDA

View Full Version : total crash

onli
03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
First of all I want to thank you, the linux-client works very well and I thougt until yesterday that it is absolutely stable.
But yesterday, my whole system crashed while playing regnum, the only thing I could do was to press the reset-button. After the reboot I tried to check my logfiles and it crashed again - the /etc/var/syslog had a size of 1.6 gb!
I had to erase the file, and now I'm wondering how this could happen
The syslog.0 is filled with these entries:
localhost kernel: [17191249.492000] [fglrx:firegl_rmmap] *ERROR* map 0xdcb7c2f0 stif0 still in use (map_count=1)
localhost kernel:[17191249.492000] [fglrx:firegl_free_buffer_queue] *ERROR* buffer qeue 0xdcb7c2e0 still mapped
For one second both entries are more than 100 times written down.

I think these entries are caused by the rolauncher, but I'm not totally sure. Another Player using an ati card had the same entries in his syslog...
Is this a known bug? Is it really caused by rolauncher? Is it a memory-leak (the only hint I found with google)?

My System:
Ubuntu 6.06
Radeon 9800
OpenGL version string: 2.0.5814 (8.25.18) (fglrx taken from the repository)

Myxir
03-24-2007, 02:34 PM
hi!
I (mcflow or nessa^^) have similar entries in my syslog. I guess they are caused by rolauncher!
But anyway... it runs stable and without lagging!

onli
03-31-2007, 04:24 PM
The same happened again, but I stopped playing after the syslog got a size of 208mb. Now I am sure these error-messages are caused by regnum.
No help from here?

onli
04-11-2007, 11:49 AM
2.1 gb this time...

NightTwix
04-11-2007, 07:25 PM
must be an issue with ATI.
fglrx is the driver for ATI, right?

my messages contain no similar entries.
Im using nvidia tho :P

twiistedkaos
04-12-2007, 12:36 AM
must be an issue with ATI.
fglrx is the driver for ATI, right?

my messages contain no similar entries.
Im using nvidia tho :P

I use nvidia also, no errors like that here.

icckleblackcat
04-12-2007, 03:24 AM
fglrx is definately ATI drivers...

my only suggestion would be to try to use the open source drivers for ATI if you can - i've had a mixed bag of success with the closed binaries... mixed enought that I would cough very hard before using ATI graphics in a linux box - nvidia however is a pretty reliable bet.

that said, the ATI installers seem to work ok (mostly) on SUSE, SLES, Fedora and RHEL assuming the rest if the box is fairly linux friendly.

I love ubuntu and support linux professionally - but more often that not I've found ATI & Ubuntu to be among the worse combinations going.

the current OpenGL state for ati is a bit dodgy on ubuntu 6.06 - 6.10 seems to be a bit more reliable (for the 3D alone - not much else, edgy itself is, well, edgy) if you want to risk a system update :p

The moral of this story - if you can, pick up an nvidia 7300GS or some such :)

onli
04-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Don't have the money for a new card.
In dapper, radeon won't give me direct rendering. But it is a good idea - I will try feisty's abilities ;)
Greets