PDA

View Full Version : Client crashes permanently since last update

magnet
07-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Hi there,

Like many other foreign (read: not from Argentina) players, I came to Regnum Online specifically because of the GNU/Linux client. It worked fine out of the box and except a few crashes it ran fine. I play a lvl 26 Warlock and my only interest in the game is to reach a sufficient level to go to war.

Unfortunately since last update, I have been getting crashes permanently (read: at least one every 3-5 minutes), from which I often wake up dead. The game did not crash in that proportion before (maybe 1 crash/hour) and it's totally ruining the game, so much that I have to leave until it's solved (if it's not, well it was a pleasure to play ROL for a few days).

I know the Linux client isn't officially supported, I also know it brought many players to Regnum Online and that NDG really should try to do some QA on GNU distros too before upgrading the game. I know the game works perfectly on other Linux installs though.

My PC is quite common: Athlon XP Barton 3000+, 1 GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce FX52000. It's very stable, I haven't had any app crashing in monthes (when Firefox with flash and mplayer never crash, you can be sure your hardware is OK). I run the game in safe mode, lowest settings everywhere; still getting crashes.

Here's a collection of GDB backtraces: http://www.mithrandir.net/magnet/Regnum/

If you want more info, feel free to send me your shared libs with the debug flag so that you can get more info in the backtrace. I won't go into the chorus "if you made the client free as in speech and we'd fix it by ourselves" but you get the idea. I'm having fun with ROL, I just want it to work like it did last week.

(and btw, I reinstalled it from scratch, just to be sure).

Thanks for your support, I hope I can come back to the game soon.

surak
07-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Do you have the same problem in the experimental server?

I'll rebuild from scratch the experimental linux client and upload it in a few moments.

magnet
07-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Downloading it now, I'll tell you. I logged into it yesterday while the official server was down but I lost all the resources when I reinstalled the game from scratch. I'll tell you in 10 mins.

magnet
07-13-2007, 06:45 PM
I've been playing for 15 mins on the experimental server and no crash. Seems fine, I hope the update makes it soon to the official server.

Thanks !

surak
07-13-2007, 06:49 PM
I did not upload nothing yet :S At this moment, the experimental client is identical to the official one. Try copying all files in test/ folder inside live/ folder.

magnet
07-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Huh, this is weird. Could it be a zone that makes me crash? My crashes mostly happen near Meleketi (but also during the game loading)...

magnet
07-13-2007, 06:56 PM
I just renamed test/ to live/, logged, attacked a mob, and crashed. I'm surely dead now. (Meleketi beach)

This is weird :).

surak
07-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I've updated the experimental client, can you try to reproduce that crash?

magnet
07-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Reproducing seems hard since I don't know why crashes happen ; I'm never doing anything special at the time (ie, things I'm doing don't crash usually). The backtrace saying it was something regarding sound, I've disabled sound altogether (and crashed since yet, but maybe less?).

I've no problem trying the experimental client but since it worked even with the official client on the official server in the Ignis noobzone, I'm not sure I'll be able to find anything out.

What would you like me to do?

surak
07-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Can you give me more details about your distro?

magnet
07-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Ubuntu Feisty Fawn + backports. No change since last week since the game worked. Pretty standard setup. Disabling sound support seems to work as a temporary fix (but pretty lame since it's useful to know where people are).

magnet
07-21-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm giving an update here. I have been playing without sound since the thread and the permanent crashes have stopped (so, there is a bug with sound support, I'll be happy to narrow it down, but it's just not reproducible; it just crashes after a few minutes when I enable sound).

However, I still have the recurring crashes everyone has and I can live with it, but since the sound problem seems easier to identify, maybe there's something to be done there. Especially when it didn't happen before last update.

Lejon
07-23-2007, 03:24 PM
I also run Ubuntu 7.04
I Started to play just a few days ago.
At first sound did not work and then I did not crash a singel time.
Then i read on the forum, and downloaded a linopenal.so file to get sound working.
When i got sound working I started to crash manicly just like you descrived every few minutes.

Then i played in Windows for a while (Started to play cus of Linux client and still wan to play in Linux!)
In Windows I experienced fewer crashes but still many enugh to destroy the experience! I got my Conj to lvl 18.

Now resently I loged in to Regnum agin in Linux client. and to my suprice I got no sound at all. I keept checking it in options but everytime I went in ther agin it was unchecked. (Have you made Linux client automaticly disable sound)
The game keeps crashing, although more like every 10-20min insted of every 2-5min
The crashes seams to have one thing in common. Im not doin anything special, but I AM doing something.
It never seams to crash if I just stand in one spot and view the screen.
It happen that it crash when I Run, Click on something or zone (ex.Death)

The crashes I ot with sound before was usaly SegFaults.
Now without sound however it is an exception. last I saw something looked like a string overflow.

If you want all my crash_traceback files. PM me a e-mail adress and I send them.

Edit. Seams like PM is not activated on this Forum.
So give me some other means of sending the files if you want them.

Edit2.
Almost forgot. my hardware:
CPU AMD 64 Duel Core 3800+
RAM: 2GB DDR
Gfx: Nvidia GeForce 6800GT PCIe 256 MB

also. I play alot of other games. and no other game crashes for me like this.