This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
qdlaty88
Pledge

qdlaty88 is on a distinguished road
Default Ubuntu 12.04 64 + Radeon 3000 = black screen

Hi All,

after few years of being offline i decide to back to this grate game As I see all my chars still are there so I don't need to start from beginning but... After I installed game, running launcher, logged to my acc and click play all i saw was black screen with mouse pointer :/ After 1 minute game close and back to ubuntu...

I thought it was driver isue so I instaled ccc from amd site but it goes even worst (crashes, low resolution, broken unity, artefacts on screen and wery high gpu temperature) and launcher stopped working...

So... Is there any way to run RO on ubuntu 12.04 with radeon 3000?

And sorry for my english :/ It's not my primary language
qdlaty88 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Cuchulainn
Master

Cuchulainn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdlaty88 View Post
[...]

So... Is there any way to run RO on ubuntu 12.04 with radeon 3000?
[...]
short answer: yes, there are surely ways to play RO on Ubuntu with Radeon 3xxx series cards.

longer answer:
uninstall the driver you downloaded from the AMD site properly. The command to do that should be:
Code:
sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall
or similar.

On this card I wouldn't even install the proprietary driver. And if you do, just follow a Ubuntu 12 specific guide and make sure to choose the legacy driver, if there is any.
Your card is not supported anymore by current AMD drivers. Also there is no need to download drivers from the amd site, it is usually a better idea to use drivers from your distro repository (for your card the legacy one, if there is any).

To make this game work on your card without proprietary AMD driver, just install libtxc-dxtn (should be in the ubuntu repository) and enable force safe mode in the advanced settings of the game launcher.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
qdlaty88
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
short answer: yes, there are surely ways to play RO on Ubuntu with Radeon 3xxx series cards.

longer answer:
uninstall the driver you downloaded from the AMD site properly. The command to do that should be:
Code:
sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall
or similar.

On this card I wouldn't even install the proprietary driver. And if you do, just follow a Ubuntu 12 specific guide and make sure to choose the legacy driver, if there is any.
Your card is not supported anymore by current AMD drivers. Also there is no need to download drivers from the amd site, it is usually a better idea to use drivers from your distro repository (for your card the legacy one, if there is any).

To make this game work on your card without proprietary AMD driver, just install libtxc-dxtn (should be in the ubuntu repository) and enable force safe mode in the advanced settings of the game launcher.
Thx for your answer. It helped me to run ro. Now i need to find the way to speed it up since it works horrible slow
Old 01-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #4
Cuchulainn
Master

Cuchulainn is on a distinguished road

when I first responded I actually thought, you have any higher Radeon 3xxx series card. I didn't know that there is a Radeon 3000 too. Well Radeon 3000 exists indeed, and it is the slowest of the 3xxx series.

Even if you used the proprietary Radeon driver, I doubt you can get more than 10 fps with this card under Linux. Few years ago I played Regnum on a system with Radeon HD 3200. I think I had around 15-24 fps with that and proprietary drivers. Your IGP card is even weaker (specs comparison).

Regnum tends to be a bit faster when Direct3D is used instead of OpenGL. Of course this would require Windows.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
qdlaty88
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post

Regnum tends to be a bit faster when Direct3D is used instead of OpenGL. Of course this would require Windows.
Yeah I noticed it too. But there is no sense for me to install windows just for 1 game. Maybe it's time for me to buy new card

After all I think problem is solved so thx for your advice once again