This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 02-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Mashu
Master

Mashu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keyboard problem

Dear NGD,
  • Keyboard locks up sometimes with except to enter button that changes its behavior and works like triggers alt+enter window/full-screen mode instead. Other keys just trigger screenshot.
  • Happens to all in-game friends I asked who use GNU/Linux
  • Restarting game does not cause problem to go away, only reboot

Although this seems hard to reproduce, it keeps happening over and over.
Although it seems like not a game problem, as only reboot fixes this. All other games work just fine, even after this problem occurs in Regnum. Also all programs work just fine.

I think Regnum messes something up with keyboard on Xserver side and maybe other programs don't freak out because of that. I don't know, but this seems to happen only with Regnum and only reboot fixes this.

Help would be appreciated. Anyone on forum encountered this ?
Mashu no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
Slartibartfast
Master

Slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashu View Post

Help would be appreciated. Anyone on forum encountered this ?
Ever since I play CoR, I play it on Linux and I never had a problem with keyboard you're describing. In those years I had three different keyboards, currently Corsair K70.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
godismyjudge
Initiate

godismyjudge is on a distinguished road

Regnum has problem with non-us like keyboard layouts since first release. Numbers above letters don't work if they are written with shift key on your keyboard layout - regnum client won't detect them correctly and you have to switch to us-like layout. This is caused by not using keycodes for this, but keysyms, which is wrong. For keyboard bindings, only kecodes should be used. keysyms should only be used for text input, but only when you don't want to support composed characters. For correct composition, you need X input context and feed it the key events.

Key also sometimes get stuck - the client thinks they are pressed, while you released them long ago. This mainly happens when you press several keys at once, while using the mouse and modifier keys (such as shift + spell key + turning key and clicking something). it is more or less random and hard to reproduce, but it happens.

If you have multiple keyboard layouts defined (at least under KDE), the client only works if you switch to the default layout. For secondary layouts, it won't process the key events correctly and do random stuff.

I a thread regarding visual bugs in opengl engine, NGD stated the linux client and its bugs are not their priority, which is sad.
godismyjudge no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Slartibartfast
Master

Slartibartfast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by godismyjudge View Post
I a thread regarding visual bugs in opengl engine, NGD stated the linux client and its bugs are not their priority, which is sad.
Actually, it should be priority since many players are using Linux. This is the stats of regnumsentinel.com visitors for January 2017.

Probably a number of users use Linux for browsing and Windows for CoR, but anyway, CoR Linux community isn't negligible.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #5
Lebeau
Banned

Location: 'B-F-Egypt', Virginia, U.S.A. (please pity & forgive us poor american fools!).
Lebeau is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I truly appreciate all that the current NGD staff is doing & trying to do, but I also actually knew enough way back when to say there & then ... "we're gonna' miss ol' Surak really bad when he's gone!" (& I truly do)....

Lebeau no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Mashu
Master

Mashu is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Linux community isn't negligible.
Actually dozen of users have Linux as dual boot option and use Windows for gaming, many of them would appreciate bug free game on Linux, but still show up as Windows users in those stats.

Quote:
Key also sometimes get stuck - the client thinks they are pressed, while you released them long ago. This mainly happens when you press several keys at once, while using the mouse and modifier keys (such as shift + spell key + turning key and clicking something). it is more or less random and hard to reproduce, but it happens.
That seems to match my observations. Would be good to know from NGD how to file a ticket on this, so information in it are useful towards fixing this bug.
Mashu no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
schachteana
Master

schachteana is on a distinguished road

I never experienced this
schachteana no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #8
rinky
Initiate

rinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Actually, it should be priority since many players are using Linux. This is the stats of regnumsentinel.com visitors for January 2017.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...romium_008.png

Probably a number of users use Linux for browsing and Windows for CoR, but anyway, CoR Linux community isn't negligible.
CoR is one of the few games with a native linux client, so Linux users are a high proportion of the population here as a result. For a while, I ran the Win client under Wine, and it works fairly well that way (the Linux client had a few bugs I couldn't tolerate).

NGD should pay attention to the demographics of their users. It would be interesting to know how many downloads have been made of each client on their site, and how many current players in the game are logging from which OSes. And if they're not capturing this information, they should. Certainly the client knows which OS it's purportedly running under.

Rinky
Old 02-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
godismyjudge
Initiate

godismyjudge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinky View Post
CoR is one of the few games with a native linux client, so Linux users are a high proportion of the population here as a result. For a while, I ran the Win client under Wine, and it works fairly well that way (the Linux client had a few bugs I couldn't tolerate).

NGD should pay attention to the demographics of their users. It would be interesting to know how many downloads have been made of each client on their site, and how many current players in the game are logging from which OSes. And if they're not capturing this information, they should. Certainly the client knows which OS it's purportedly running under.

Rinky
If you have a Radeon card and if you use opensource driver, I can suggest using Wine + Mesa with native DX9. It works much better than native Linux client and it also runs at higher FPS with more graphics details (how sad, isn't it?).
godismyjudge no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #10
rinky
Initiate

rinky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you have a Radeon card and if you use opensource driver, I can suggest using Wine + Mesa with native DX9. It works much better than native Linux client and it also runs at higher FPS with more graphics details (how sad, isn't it?).
Not sure what driver I was using. Right now I run the client on Windows, because my cellular broadband device doesn't work for crap on Linux. Ah, well.

And, yes, very sad.

Rinky