This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
onemyndseye
Master

onemyndseye is on a distinguished road
Default Lag and Freezes? This MAY Help

Over the last few weeks Ive noticed RO's performance on my laptop to be decreasing dramatically. Overall FPS have reduced by 10 or more with periodic drops to 1-2fps in conditions where this really should not be the case...

So I started gathering info and logging performance data about my machine while RO is running and found that RO was consuming ALL of my 1gig of ram at most times and especially noted at times where my FPS dropped and/or the game froze. ... Memory leaks. We all knew they were there... now lets talk about how to fix.... errr HELP the problem with memory management.

A simple virtual memory tweaks may help RO's performance by allowing more data to be swapped and more ram to be made available to a ram hungry program like RO

Before running RO issue this simple command in a terminal window:
Quote:

sudo sysctl vm.swappiness=100

The default swappiness value may be found in /etc/sysctl.conf (atleast on Debian-like systems) which is usually 30.. and I must admit for day to day desktop use a lower value certainly make for a more responsive system. But for large applications that like their ram... setting a temp value of 100 can be a big help. It should also be noted that in systems with more that 1gig of ram this setting will likely have little effect.

Also.. In my post here I described how raising the priority of the RO binary increased performance... and it does. However with further testing I think some system's could benefit equally from LOWERING the priority.
It all depends on where your bottleneck is. You see a lower priority means more CPU power can be allocated to processing TCP/IP data for instance...

That being said... one may want to change the value in my script to a positive value... i.e. 15 or 20.. or renice the game binary by hand:

Quote:

renice -n 20 $(pidof game)

Hope this helps,
-One Mynds Eye
Srytis LVL50 Hunter: Elusis
onemyndseye no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote