This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > General discussion

General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
_Kharbon_
Baron

_Kharbon_ is on a distinguished road
Default Least used spells

As Chilko suggested, here's a list of the least used spells from all classes. I will try to add to the list, so post your suggestions.

Mages:

Mental:

Splinter wall- Never saw it really, too weak, also not used because mages are forced into melee range with it?
Sulters devouring mass: Unfortunate position. Most mages do not skill Mental so high, long CD. Anyone else uses it?

Staff Mastery:

Static field- Low area. Forcing mages into meele range, in not used tree.
Anyone else uses it?
Protection dome
- Positioned too high, speed malus is huge disadvantage, unpredictable chance effect

Enchantments:

Clumsiness: Useless Anyone else uses it?

Arcania:

Petrify hands: Too low effect for the opponent, long cooldown, situations where pure dps decides the battle are rare.
Laziness: warlocks have better ways of disabling opponent’s damage? The effect doesn’t count on opponents spells?
Wind wall: Too low effect.
Fragility: not used in war because “resist physical damage” -5% to -25% is not much. Perhaps it’s because debuffing the opponent is not worth it, as mages have good DoT’s?
Golem fist: requires lot of mana, long casting speed, long cooldown. It’s not worth the low damage.
Crystal blast: It’s not worth the low damage.

Necromancy:

Sadistic guards: Most spells are successful, this doesn’t appear to be able to counter opponents Son of the Wind or UM?
Possess summoning: This was used by warlocks for use with staff mastery. It’s not used much anymore, because summons are only rarely seen in wars & because reloging kills the creature.

Elements:

Elemental conjuction: Too low bonus, is not worth using.
Elemental exposure: Not worth skilling, as it works on single target only.

Life:

Greater healing: Tricky to use, long cd
Mass resurrection: I love this spell but high mana, cd, and not so reloiable and no Sanctuary. Nnot reliable. - Tamui

Summons:

Summon Imps and Summon Zombies: Buggy. Very low survivabilty rate too. When the person is frezzed or sometimes under some kind of another CCs they immediatly go to cd.- Tamui Anyone else uses it?
Though, even with the passive buff, imps and zombies make nearly zero damage vs. buffed enemies or enemies with high armour points. So you can only use them for levelling (minor effective) of for supporting low level players (super effective, since you are able to control lich/zarkit/golem, imps and zombies at once). - Phlue4

Passive spells in this tree: Too low to make a difference (anyone uses these at least for grinding?)
Yes, but there is a bug. If you skill the passive + hp skill, their health points get buffed in an absurd way (I guess, it is about +500%) and then they can kill a normal mob without any problems. Combined with overhelming strength (great spell), imps of a lvl 60er conju almost manage to kill a wild hyena leader. - Phlue4

Sorcery:

Force armor: I took more damage with it. - Tamui Bugged?
Shifting silhouette: Too low effect, it’s not worth it relying on chance spells, high mana and casting.

Archers:

Short bows:

Dual shot: Long casting time, low dmg.
Grounding arrow: Low damage, weak effect, long casting
Adaptability: High mana cost, chance effect - not worth it.
Repetition shot: Area spell, therefore used against groups of opponents that will likely be buffed. This causes it to have low damage. Relatively small area, high mana cost, high casting time & cooldown for its effect.
Repitition shot is nice and works, it just needs a slight buff. - Seher

Long bows:

Shield piercing: Not worth the damage.
Point shot: Too low bonus regarding the mana cost, duration and points invested. Gear dependant. Random.
Obfuscate: Not worth the effect, long casting, positioned too high in the tree
Projectile rain: Area spell, therefore used against groups of opponents that will likely be buffed. This causes low damage. Relatively small area of effect, high mana cost, high casting time & cooldown.

Tricks:

Finesse: Chance spell, too high mana cost.

Evasion:

Dodge: Chance spell
Cat reflexes: Chance spell, too low bonus
Spell elude: High position, high mana cost, low bonus
Wits: Mana bonus too low for 5 points invested, high in the tree. Anyone else uses it?

Scouting:

Camouflage corpse: Has duration, easily reversed by reveal, high mana cost.

Arrow Mastery:

Needle blast: Relatively low damage
Fire rain: Relatively low damage

Aiming mastery:

Focus: movement speed is a great disadvantage, the increase spell focus is not so great effect. Requires lot of points.
Finger crush: Chance spell, effect not worth it.
Cyclops curse: Not worth the effect, too low dmg to invest points, mana and time in.
Seeking strike: Too high mana cost. Anyone else uses it?

Warriors:

Slashing weapons:

Crash: mainly used on archers and quite often you cannot reach them to just reduce their evasion marginally. Also, with increases in hit chance and reductions in evasion (not too sure about that) the effect is much less than it used to be. - Bois
Athletics: I suggest that dexterity be applied to 25% of the damage calculation for piercing weapons (str is the remainder) (for melee) to make this useful again. - Bois
we do not need dexterity as warriors. - Ulti

Piercing weapons:

Ripost: The cast time is the weakness of this one. This is why it is hardly used now. - Bois
the chance to inflict the addition % damage is only hurting this spell further, it should be 100%. - Ulti
The cast time sucks - Imago-Thunderfist
Anyone else uses it?
Brain piercing: any knock or dizzy is equally or more effective than this spell. It is a waste of points. - Bois
would be nice if it did damage along with the cancel effect. - Ulti
Anyone else uses it?
Impale: DoT doesn't work. Otherwise it would be good, long cast time
a joke, another damage spell with casting time and damage that is not worth the mana - Ulti
Lightning strike: damage is rather low and cast time is high. Poor return on investment. - Bois
No second effect - Ulti
Multiple thrust: damage is rather low and cast time is high. Poor return on investment. - Bois
No second effect - Ulti
In comparation with Devastate it looses on every single point. Needs a buff - Imago-Thunderfist

Tactics:

Throat cutter: It is a very effective spell for use by knights. Extremely useful on buffed knights and conjurers. Useless for barbs. - Bois
Note: Instead of removing this, I mark it as not-used spell for barbs only, therefore it should be moved to a knight tree?
Martial reflexes: Doubling crit. hit chance is not worth it? Anyone else uses it?
Challenging roar: Effect not worth it

Warcries:

Challenging roar: Effect not worth it

Two handed mastery:

Rend: long cooldown and casting, high cost?
Destabilize: Not worth the effect

Vanguard

Rigorous preparation: At best the miss chance is one miss per every 10-12 hits. (...) very expensive and a slow cast (...) Because it is usually best to precast it ,the duration is way too low. - Bois
This spell offers almost nothing - Ulti

Shields

Ethereal Mantle: Cast is too slow, range is poor and it applies the wrong type of protection for a melee type class. It should be a physical damage or some other anti cc spell. - Bois
Too high cost - Ulti

Credit:
Huge thanks for Raindances suggestions. I added her work to mine, except some (mainly passive spells) that I know are used for grinding.

Note from Bois:
personally I would place every miss chance spell under review. Most players do not understand it (as it does not show up in log) and even at its most effective, it has to be stacked. So, you stack miss chance with hit chance reducers. Most times you do not have time for that and other combos are better and much more deadly.

Note from Ulti:
The piercing tree needs to be improved the most in my opinion as it has the least influential spells.
The game needs less random elements

Last edited by _Kharbon_; 10-23-2012 at 10:03 AM.
_Kharbon_ no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
_Kharbon_
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by standistortion View Post
Only disagree with a few of those:
Static field. It can be useful to give an extra fraction of a second to successfully cast mind push on a rushing group, almost impossible without it. It may also be useful to front line conj's but I've not noticed any using it.

I never saw this used, it's not skilled because of its position and weak effect... I'll remove it from the list if anyone else brings it up though

Golem fist. Its mainly useful at lower levels as it gives an extra (although costly) damage spell, the alternative is to skill elements as much as points allow or mental higher than otherwise needed both of which limit points on more important trees.

I didn't think that low levels use it much, as elements have much more effective spells, I'll remove it if anyone else confirms this too though

Infuriate. An absolutely essential skill especially for warlocks supporting the front line. Please don't change it.

True, I removed this.

Elemental conjuction. It's very effective to boost defences and not costly to skill but not many use it.

Not many use it - therefore it should be on this list as well, don't you think?

I've not tried protection dome for a long time or seen it used by anyone else. Try and use it and you'll receive a lot of... guidance. It could be a good spell now, if not it would be high on my list of spells that need attention. The highest on that list would be wind wall though, mages have been requesting improvements to it for a long time and for some its the one spell that would restore warlock balance.

The reason I added protection dome here is because I don't see it anymore.. I agree that wind wall needs buffing, also mind push could have larger area. But that's a different topic..
Replies in blue, thanks for feedback
WM - WM - WM - 56 - 53 - 50

Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Seher
Count

Seher is on a distinguished road

I don’t think this approach is the best. Don’t get me wrong, a list of useless spells is great and must exist, but you can’t really start doing balance from there.

Fun spell ideas (balance for awesome, I like that term :P) should be collected, then this list comes into play, and one useless spell gets thrown out.

Many of these spells aren’t just in need of a buff, they’re entirely useless. And the others aren’t exactly what I’d call fun and good spells either, or could even create many other problems when properly buffed. Nothing really worth keeping. Hell, most of the spells in Regnum aren’t. Problem is, NGD can’t really focus on balancing for awesome when the balance part in balance doesn’t even work at all. I’d say the system needs to be simplified. Balance needs to be easier to control. Why is still absolute damage reduction via armour around? Talking about unnecessary work …

DISCORD!
Seher no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
chilko
NGD·Studios

chilko is on a distinguished road

We are not just going to remove or buff the spells on this list. I just wanted an up to date list. we will see how this list helps us in the whole balance strategy.

I was there when blizzard started bragging about balance for awesome... its just a marketing term.

But anyway,

Im all about simplifying:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seher View Post
Why is still absolute damage reduction via armour around? Talking about unnecessary work …
can you please elaborate on this on a separate thread.
chilko no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
hiyono
Pledge

hiyono is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kharbon_ View Post
Blunt weapons:

Crushing: Does normal damage, constitution malus not worth it.
i use crushing :/

it does normals and minus const. the -const can go up to ~200 reduction in hp (depending on what you are hitting)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Seher
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilko View Post
can you please elaborate on this on a separate thread.
Here you go:
http://regnumonlinegame.com/forum/sh....php?p=1652805

I knew there already was a thread about this, but I couldn’t find it. Well, I found it when I was done with writing.
http://regnumonlinegame.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=76545

DISCORD!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
_Kharbon_
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyono View Post
i use crushing :/

it does normals and minus const. the -const can go up to ~200 reduction in hp (depending on what you are hitting)
Fair enough, I'll remove it from the list.
Is the damage (and HP decrease of the opponent) worth it though? Take into consideration mana cost and Time for Global Cooldown..

Old 10-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
bois
Count

bois will become famous soon enough

I would like to offer some points on the list offered.

Crash: this is not used much because it is mainly used on archers and quite often you cannot reach them to just reduce their evasion marginally. Also, with increases in hit chance and reductions in evasion (not too sure about that) the effect is much less than it used to be. Its primary user was knight but it offers little damage for the investment.

Athletics : same reason. I used this on my knight in combo with other spells like challenge/ block and the old awareness to give me an extra exotic layer of protection. This was effective at level 50. With hit chance up and evasion down, it is no longer as useful. I suggest that dexterity be applied to 25% of the damage calculation for piercing weapons (str is the remainder) (for melee) to make this useful again.

Ripost : It delivers good damage both for barb and Knight. However, the cast time is the weakness of this one. This is why it is hardly used now.

Brain piercing : not used because any knock or dizzy is equally or more effective than this spell. It is a waste of points.

Impale : does the DoT part work? I am not too sure but if it did , it would be rather useful.

Lightning strike and multiple thrust : damage is rather low and cast time is high. Poor return on investment. * please add multiple thrust to the list.

Crushing : I have seen players use this. It is effective as a finishing spell even on level 1. I suggest this on for review as removal from the list of unused spells.

Execution : works in combo with martial reflexes. Not used much I must agree.

Throat cutter : please remove from list. It is a very effective spell for use by knights. Most can't hit for 525 to 650 to finish an opponent. Extremely useful on buffed knights and conjurers. Useless for barbs.

Back slam : place this under review. I use it as a stock spell and find it rather effective as a fast secondary (yes chance) dizzy. It does have damage.

Side note : personally I would place every miss chance spell under review. Most players do not understand it (as it does not show up in log) and even at its most effective, it has to be stacked. So, you stack miss chance with hit chance reducers. Most times you do not have time for that and other combos are better and much more deadly.

Rigorous preparation : this spell used to work in combo with challenge/ awareness/block in the level 50 days. At best the miss chance is one miss per every 10-12 hits. I tested it. But it is very expensive and a slow cast for what it does. Because it is usually best to precast it ,the duration is way too low.

Ethereal mantle : Cast is too slow ( players usually move out of range while casting) range is poor and it applies , in my opinion ,the wrong type of protection for a melee type class. It should be a physical damage or some other anti cc spell. * please add to list

Vitality Absorption : theoretically this should be good but I find the results to be less than stellar even when you apply area damage on many opponents. Maybe this needs one to be explained so layers can grasp it better. It should be on the list of unused spells though. * please add if it is underused
bois no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
Seher
Count

Oh, and on this topic: I think the list should be split into “should be buffed” and “needs revamp”. Repitition shot is nice and works, it just needs a slight buff. Or rather the circumstances made it not that effective. Too much defence around, too hard hitting barbarian AEs. Sticky touch is a nice spell, too, and will decide your duel. I don’t know if that one even needs a buff.

DISCORD!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
_Kharbon_
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bois View Post
Thanks a lot, I added your suggestions to the original list and placed some spells under review. Furthermore Removed crushing.

Last edited by _Kharbon_; 10-14-2012 at 12:37 AM.