This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
AxisVirtd
Apprentice

AxisVirtd is on a distinguished road
Default Second X, 32/64 os.

Usually I start full-screen games at second X-session for having a possibility to switch to the first X-session for checking email-client/messengers or to kill game with the whole session without any problem.
Some time ago it was impossible switch back to regnum from the first X-session, the game could hang or crash.
It was fixed with some update.
But only for 32bit systems, not for 64bit ones.
Is it possible to fix this?
AxisVirtd no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
standistortion
Master

standistortion is on a distinguished road

Quick answer: idk, hopefully someone has had the same issue and found a solution.

Long answer thats not much help to you: Yes, its possible on your system because its open source and anything can be modified but it may mean a huge amount of work, possibly as much as writing effective open source graphics card drivers (sry).

Give some more details on your system, it sounds like you dont have enough graphics memory or the data stored in graphics memory isnt being saved and reloaded properly. Hopefully some changes to xorg.conf (or equivalent) can fix it.

Good luck with it.
standistortion no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
surak
Legend

surak has a spectacular aura aboutsurak has a spectacular aura about

Ah? More details please.

Theoretically, the architecture should have no effect on the situation you're describing. The game code is (99.99%) the same in both.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
AxisVirtd
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by surak View Post
Ah? More details please.

Theoretically, the architecture should have no effect on the situation you're describing. The game code is (99.99%) the same in both.
Fedora 16 x86_64, NVIDIA (driver`s version: 290.06, card GF 9800GT), xorg.conf from prev. system, nothing special, OpenAl uses alsa.
Prev. system — Fedora 14 i686, all setups are the same (let alone difference between versions), all hardware is the same (except bigger hdd).
After switching X with game back I see black screen with game cursor and hear all sounds normally. Wm at second X is openbox without any compositing or something like that.
All like at i686 system before some summer or late spring update.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
NotScias
Baron

NotScias will become famous soon enough

Did it happen after an update of RO or after an update of your packages ? Because here there's not only an architecture difference, but you stepped 2 major distro versions (and all the package versions with it).

I don't really think RO has something to do with this issue; I see more something broken/changed in Xorg, or in a new version of the nvidia driver.

Did you try with another OpenGL game/app ?

EDIT: Trying to run RO in a separate X here, works fine. (ATI HD4670 w/ latest fglrx - Archlinux 64-bit)

The other realm awaits...
Now playing much better games
NotScias no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
AxisVirtd
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining-Scias View Post
Did it happen after an update of RO or after an update of your packages?
RO updates right after it starts.
And system was not updated, it was clean install. New HDD.
So, 32bit RO under 32bit os works fine, 64bit RO under 64bit system has this problem.

Quote:
I don't really think RO has something to do with this issue; I see more something broken/changed in Xorg, or in a new version of the nvidia driver.
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.11.1-1.fc16.x86_64 <-- looks like it was updated since f14
NVIDIA`s driver version is the same.

Quote:
Did you try with another OpenGL game/app ?
Yes, everything is fine.

Quote:
EDIT: Trying to run RO in a separate X here, works fine. (ATI HD4670 w/ latest fglrx - Archlinux 64-bit)
Is RO 64bit too?
Version of xorg-X11-server package?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
NotScias
Baron

NotScias will become famous soon enough

Did you try to run the 32-bit RO in the 64-bit environment ?
Did you try both fullscreen and windowed mode ?
Try with a 32-bit F16 ? The problem is that you can't really compare the results between your 32-bit and 64-bit installation since it was not exactly the same distro version (and thus package versions - not only X11 but also libgl, libdrm and stuff...) - You need the truly same software configuration to be able to compare...

Anyways concerning myself, 64-bit RO of course...
Xorg 1.11.2.
I don't have openbox and don't want it so I just launched it in an empty new X session without window manager. Switching between sessions is fine however.

Hmm if other 3D apps work then I'm afraid I don't know what could be the cause but for me it'd be surprising is RO was the cause of this.

EDIT: Or maybe it's related to the very well known bug that makes RO crash when minimizing/moving the RO window...

The other realm awaits...
Now playing much better games

Last edited by Shining-Scias; 11-23-2011 at 08:04 PM.
NotScias no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

Tried it before, worked fine. Tried windowed mode only tho.

Linux 3.1.1-1-ARCH x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

xorg-server 1.11.2-2
Old 11-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
AxisVirtd
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining-Scias View Post
Did you try to run the 32-bit RO in the 64-bit environment ?
I`ve tried to start 32bit Ro at 64bit system, but even after installing gtk2.i686 atk.i686 glib.i686 gdk-pixbuf2.i686 jasper-libs.i686, 32bit game could not work normally with my video card (shows no shaders available and white screen). Suppose, it needs some packages of X or video-drivers of i686 arch.

Quote:
Did you try both fullscreen and windowed mode ?
New results.
It takes up to 20 seconds from regnum-cursor appearance after switching back until normal picture in windowed mode and up to 25 seconds in fullscreen.
In 32 bit system 32bit games was playable in a second or about after switching. So switching works for 64bit but it is too slow. Other full screen 3D apps works as usual.

Quote:
Try with a 32-bit F16 ?
Emh, install another copy of os only for this?

Quote:
The problem is that you can't really compare the results between your 32-bit and 64-bit installation since it was not exactly the same distro version (and thus package versions - not only X11 but also libgl, libdrm and stuff...) - You need the truly same software configuration to be able to compare...
Right.

Quote:
I don't have openbox and don't want it
This is just light-weight and problem-less wm to exclude any additional problems. I told about it to show there are no problems cause of any compiz/kde4/gnome3/tiled_wm.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
SilverHaven
Initiate

SilverHaven is on a distinguished road

Tested this on Arch Linux x86-64 with 64bit RO. I started second X server, ran the game there. Than switched back to previous one and then switched back to game. I got black screen with RO cursor, sound playing. After like 30s everything appeared again though. Not sure if it is RO problem, or graphics driver problem. Might be worth testing with another opengl app, I will try with Blender later, if it will behave in the same way. If it will, it might not be RO problem.

My video card is gf 9600gt, driver version 290.10
SilverHaven no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote