This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #31
Arafails
Baron

Arafails will become famous soon enough

True story: Gnome 3 works fine on ATI hardware. Just use the open source driver.

Cheerio!

(PS: My suggestion is to not use Piece of **** binary blobs, including catalyst or nvidia drivers, with linux. They do not integrate well and no one can make them do so).
Old 12-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #32
NotScias
Baron

NotScias will become famous soon enough

Quote:
In addition, GNOME Shell is obviously a touch oriented interface, not a mouse oriented one. To me it smells like GNOME Shell is taking the same approach as Ubuntu; market it to tablets, the desktop people will always find workarounds to get work done. The difference is that while Ubuntu outright said that Unity is an attempt to have the same interface on the Desktop and Mobile devices, GNOME hides behind cryptic statements such as "Revolutionise the desktop", "Maximise Efficiency", "Simplify controls" etc.
Well on this point I think the same, but now it's not the same topic.
Gnome has always been like this anyways, trying to make things as simple as possible by "hiding" advanced customisation and by trying to "force" a default setup. In Gnome 3 they just went further in this way.
They've made their ideological choice. Some people like, some people don't. It's a matter of taste and it's impossible to please everyone since we all have different needs.
Personally like I said, I don't, and I prefer to use a DE that suits my needs.

That's also why the Linux world is so great, because there's no default forced choice you can use whatever you want and change whenever you want. There's enough DEs to satisfy most of the different needs.
You aren't forced to use it, so yeah it may be a piece of shit for you but maybe not for touch users or grandmas or the OSX-addict audience.

Quote:
So yes, GNOME 3 is the one to blame for providing a crappy environment. In fact, it's not required of AMD to make free drivers, but they still do; But it is required of people that claim to have released a "revolutionary desktop" to actually make it work on a desktop, and they didn't even try.
Nope. It's not GNOME 3 or any Window Manager/DE that is responsible for correctly interpreting OpenGL stuff to render the framebuffer and coloring the pixels of your screen.
The fact that there's screen corruption or driver malfunction when using Gnome 3 with fglrx and not other drivers just show problems in the driver itself, that can only be solved by AMD anyways.
If you are talking about the binary blob, it's not free (if you meant open source..). By the way like it has been said, the open source one performs much better than the blob concerning Composited/2D stuff and runs Gnome 3 fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arafails View Post
(PS: My suggestion is to not use Piece of **** binary blobs, including catalyst or nvidia drivers, with linux. They do not integrate well and no one can make them do so).
Well.. Now if only the open-source drivers were on par with proprietary ones concerning 3D performance and features...

The other realm awaits...
Now playing much better games

Last edited by Shining-Scias; 12-10-2011 at 03:54 AM.
NotScias no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #33
Aelonderiel
Banned

Aelonderiel is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Yeah... If only...

The potential is there if you ask me, I have a desktop with a very old nvidia 5200 GX or FX or something (can't remember and it's a few hundred km away), and the FOSS driver actually works better than the proprietary nvidia one for that model. We're just lagging behind, it remains to be seen if we'll catch up...

For most very old cards (usually the early 3D cards) that I've seen the free drivers usually work better as well.

Meh... patience. Openbox+Vesa is always there to save the day if something goes wrong anyway. If all else fails, I will survive on those like a cockroach.
Aelonderiel no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote