This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > General discussion

General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #21
tjanex
Banned

tjanex is on a distinguished road

They look way better now :P
tjanex no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #22
UmarilsStillHere
Marquis

UmarilsStillHere will become famous soon enough

Far better
Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #23
Kyrottimus
Baron

Kyrottimus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zas_ View Post
The point i disagree is that arrows trail were meant to improve balance, and as such arrow trails are a bad way to improve it somehow.
I agree and highly doubt the arrow-trails were ever thought of by NGD as a mechanism for balance.

Quote:
Still i agree warriors need more work, but by improving them, not killing the fun of playing other classes.
I agree, that angle of approach could (and should) be taken. But I'll explain later in my reply why I still prefer this change.

Quote:
Revealing position of an archer by tracing arrow trails reduce tactical possibilities, final dot.
It does, but being an avid traditional archer myself (using a symmetrical Magyar horse bow), there is no such thing as an invisible arrow.

I realize this is a fantasy MMO, but even in all the fantasy movies like LotR's the archers' arrows are seen in flight. Even the Legolas fanboys would agree with me on this. In RO, the arrows seen in the quivers on the backs of the players all have white fletching. Thus I'd imagine a white streak to the target would be appropriate from the fletching.

Quote:
It is a bit like if, irl, snipers were using tracer bullets... quite stupid.
Indeed as tracer-fire works on both sides. To see where your shots are going, and others to see where they're coming from. But archers use arrows going around 300-400 feet per second, not a .300 Win Mag going 2900 feet per second at the muzzle.

Quote:
Currently, in game, it doesn't take that long to locate an archer (at least, for me, but your mileage may vary...)
True, in small-scale fights. But in a large maelstrom of battle it's hard to pinpoint where you're being shot from in the zerg of 40+ along the horizon, let alone target whomever is shooting you.

The fact that NGD put physical, tangible arrow-filled quivers on the backs of archers (note how the arrows are not invisible), only lends to the idea that archers aren't supposed to be shooting invisible arrows.

I'm not advocating some long white streak that stays in the air for a few seconds. I'm talking a fast blur that lasts for less than .25 seconds. Just long enough for those with a quick eye to discern the threat's origin.
Kyrottimus no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
tikinho
Initiate

tikinho is on a distinguished road

Weapon trails for archers give advantage to the players that are using shader 3.0 and can see the trails. - The players with better hardware.
:/
tikinho no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #25
Arafails
Baron

Arafails will become famous soon enough

The problem that it clearly gives yet more tactical advantage to those with better hardware is grounds alone to not have something like this. It's almost as bad as having a premium RADAR device.

If, if the existing texture-based indicator is given a longer fade time, and altered such that it's easier to see the direction of origin, it might be an idea.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
e30G
Count

e30G will become famous soon enough

I agree that if this "feature" takes up too much hardware resources then it shouldn't be implemented IMO. A lot of us are already running very low settings just to make the game work. This will give too much of an advantage for users with high-end machines.

If however NGD can optimize this feature well enough not to cause massive FPS drops on large fights, then I'd go for my party suggestion a few posts up.

I'm afraid that on huge fights, this "feature" will become more of a visual hindrance. I'd prefer to see this only within a party.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #27
UmarilsStillHere
Marquis

The 'new' trails only go about 3 or 4 ft from the bow, so I dont see how they can give any advantage other than maybe seeing the player has X type of greater gem in their bow.

As with warrior trails, they can be turned off (I think)
Old 07-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #28
PT_DaAr_PT
Baron

PT_DaAr_PT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge View Post
Weapon trails for archers give advantage to the players that are using shader 3.0 and can see the trails. - The players with better hardware.
:/
Fuck that, I've been playing on fixed pipeline for long time and never complained about the fact that I can't see certain buffs like AoO. So this feature won't arm anyone.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #29
Lord_Latem
Pledge

Lord_Latem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umaril View Post
The 'new' trails only go about 3 or 4 ft from the bow, so I dont see how they can give any advantage other than maybe seeing the player has X type of greater gem in their bow.

As with warrior trails, they can be turned off (I think)
I checked it out last night (night for me) and it looked like it went from bow to target. However, I did not notice any difference in the appearance of the trail with varying damage types (maybe I need to increase quality of my graphics). Also, I found that I had to get closer than normal to be within range of the target, even after the visual image indicating that the target was in range. For some strange reason I was not able to change bows using my hotbar setup, but I digress...

Anyhow, I believe you are correct in that the trails can be turned off. Overall I am of the opinion that the trails do not present a significant advange, or disadvantage. This is based on the fact that when I am being hit, I generally know where it originates. Then again, I could be entirely wrong.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #30
UmarilsStillHere
Marquis

Hmm Ill check again (loading amun now) but last night the trails seemed much shorter, though they did used to go from the bow all the way to the target when this thread first started. I cant test the gem effects since I dont have a bow with a great gem, but a bow with a great fire gem for example should produce a 'firey' trail. I dont think the other gems As/Cs/non-element damage produce a unique trail.

You need to re-set the items in your bar and then they will work, weird Amun bug thats been around for years Some archers in INQ have commented range seems about 5m less than before though we have not tested this is any way.

EDIT: seems they changed it back, though the trails are thinner they still trace all the way, personally I prefered the short trails.

Last edited by Umaril; 07-14-2010 at 12:42 PM.
UmarilsStillHere no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote