This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 07-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Clodo
Pledge

Clodo is on a distinguished road
Default keyboard randomly stops responding completely. Reboot needed.

Happening only very lately, after starting playing again after some time.
Only changes on my side were my mouse configuration tools update (roccat-tools-0.22 -> 0.23).

I am playing on Slackware 14.1, Linux 3.6.6, Xorg X Server 1.12.3
using NVIDIA optimus with bumblebee.

Basically at random points during gameplay, the keyboard input would lock up completely.
I cannot do any command (even ESC), no single key on the keyboard seems to have any effect on the game. If i was standing still, I would remain immobile, and thus easy prey for any enemy around. If I was running or turning, I would continue doing so forever.

I thought some key release event would be missed, but even clicking and releasing every single key on the keyboard does nothing to solve the issue.

The only key combination that seems to do something is the CTRL+ALT+F1 and similar, which works exacly ONCE, then I cannot switch back to the game console, or any other console.

Power cycle is then necessary to get out of it.

Any one with the same issue or good ideas about how to fix it?

Thanks
Clodo no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
TurboLover
Apprentice

TurboLover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodo View Post
The only key combination that seems to do something is the CTRL+ALT+F1 and similar, which works exacly ONCE, then I cannot switch back to the game console, or any other console.

Power cycle is then necessary to get out of it.
Never had this issue
(Gentoo Linux gentoocompn2 3.12.13-gentoo #1 SMP Sun Jun 22 14:05:42 MSK 2014 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
X.Org X Server 1.15.0
Release Date: 2013-12-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.10.25-gentoo i686 Gentoo
Current Operating System: Linux gentoocompn2 3.12.13-gentoo #1 SMP Sun Jun 22 14:05:42 MSK 2014 i686
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda2 zswap.enabled=1
Build Date: 02 May 2014 05:06:41PM

Current version of pixman: 0.32.4).

So keyboard doesn't work even in the tty after you press ctrl+alt+F1?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
andres81
Count

andres81 is on a distinguished road

What you describe is a freeze of the Regnum application. While you don't switch beside not accepting any kind of input it still seems working (music playing and character moving on) but actually the apllication is already gone.

As you still can switch to the console (backwards you probably get a black screen because the dead apllication is still there in fullscreen mode but not sending signals any more) you should kill the game sending a kill signal in the console and then switch back to the graphical desktop.
andres81 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Wi3ld
Master

Wi3ld is on a distinguished road

When my regnum freezes I have to CTRL+ALT+F1 to drop it back into a shell, then CTRL+ALT+F7 should restore your X session to where it was without any freezes. Technically.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Clodo
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres81 View Post
What you describe is a freeze of the Regnum application. While you don't switch beside not accepting any kind of input it still seems working (music playing and character moving on) but actually the apllication is already gone.
actually this is not the case.
Sometimes (rarely fortunately) I get the freeze you mention, which is often due to network conditions. This is an entirely different story, because the battle rages on as I am stuck standing or running: the application is very much alive and running, other people cry for heals, some die, etc etc.

Quote:
As you still can switch to the console (backwards you probably get a black screen because the dead apllication is still there in fullscreen mode but not sending signals any more) you should kill the game sending a kill signal in the console and then switch back to the graphical desktop.
Not possible; I can switch once to the console, then the keyboard is stuck, notably as though as the shift key was pressed. caps-lock is not involved, and pressing it does not stop the uppercasing of characters.
ALT+CTRL+F7 which should get me to X does not work: it does not display a black screen, it just has no effect. I suspect the reason is the "stuck" Shift key in Linux keyboard state.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Clodo
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLover View Post
Never had this issue
(Gentoo Linux gentoocompn2 3.12.13-gentoo #1 SMP Sun Jun 22 14:05:42 MSK 2014 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
X.Org X Server 1.15.0
Release Date: 2013-12-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.10.25-gentoo i686 Gentoo
Current Operating System: Linux gentoocompn2 3.12.13-gentoo #1 SMP Sun Jun 22 14:05:42 MSK 2014 i686
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda2 zswap.enabled=1
Build Date: 02 May 2014 05:06:41PM

Current version of pixman: 0.32.4).

So keyboard doesn't work even in the tty after you press ctrl+alt+F1?
Keyboard is in a weird state after I press ctrl+alt+f1: some keys work, some don't.
Notably all characters I type are uppercased, and this is not helped by cycling the caps-lock key.

I didn't have this issue for a day, then today it reappeared.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
Lebeau
Banned

Location: 'B-F-Egypt', Virginia, U.S.A. (please pity & forgive us poor american fools!).
Lebeau is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I may have duplicated this issue today unintentionally. I was on the rock-shelf, at upper lvl on dark beach in Ignis. I shot a magma golem which approached & became unhittable due to the rocks' cover. It adjusted it's final position which allowed me to start hitting it again. Once it was dead, I noticed this bug. Keyboard imputs in game were all kaput, even 'esc'.

I could use mouse to turn & also to bring cursor into chat. No keystrokes would register in chat. No popups would do so. No spells would cast. All ingame keyboard commands continued to not function until I tried ctrl+alt+d. It minimized app as it should, but unwisely, I just closed the minimized app rather than test whether or not I could re-enter game.

If this happens again, I'll make a point of testing it then. I logged back in without a system reboot & all was normal. Idk, but personally I think Andres is prolly right; there's nothing wrong with the interface per se, & the entire app of CoR is frozen & just not responding. Then again, mine might just resemble your specific issue somewhat & be another entirely different problem instead.

It's the times like these I truly miss Surak more & more, but I rightly KNEW we sadly would all along....

-Xubuntu 12.04 (32-bit)
-Intel Pentium(R) D 2.8 Ghz
-Nvidia GT218
-(additional pc info upon request)

Last edited by Lebeau; 07-22-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Lebeau no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Ygarl
Pledge

Ygarl is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having the same problem occasionally (including on my Hunter at lvl 59... SEVEN HUNDRED XP from lvl 60 while grinding!!!)
Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
pieceofmeat
Master

pieceofmeat is on a distinguished road

Me too its very annoying,

I belive its the client that cause it, Im thinking it related to the dual function of some keys that I like to use to strife with (LCtrl and LShift), it just fucks the keyboard up and you have to restart computer sometimes.
pieceofmeat no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
Evangeline
Master

Evangeline is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a client bug, try to reproduce and send a ticket about it