This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough
Default Solution to issue [Shift]+[num] while keeping w down makes you stop.

Since it took me a good hour to figure out a solution ill put it here for future reference.

If you have issues trying to cast Shift+key combinations while running, when your character stops by just by adding Shift to the already pressed movement key:
  • You need to disable the repeat function of your keyboard (when you hold a while writing you get alot of aaaaaa's)
You might have to google how to do that for your distro/wm. On cinnamon you can do this in dconf-editor, or via commandline with following commands.

Code:
# disable repeat functionality

gsettings set org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.peripherals.keyboard repeat false
# enable repeat functionality
gsettings set org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.peripherals.keyboard repeat true
I dont know why this is needed on linux, on windows this stopping doesnt happen with repeat on.

Reason on linux is, when adding shift to the already pressed w, a keyrelease event for W is issued which somehow stops the move. Without repeat W is not issued when adding Shift after w is already pressed.

Dont forget to reenable repeat after playing. Itd darn annoying (i forgot it right now. try to delete something with back key! *rofl*).

Best,
Old 08-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
pieceofmeat
Master

pieceofmeat is on a distinguished road

Just a partly relevant information for NGD and others that have shift key functionality issues.

The shift key have two function in RO client that can cause problems with movement, 1: cast from upper row, 2: it alters the way mouse turning act and instead turns your camera. I guess the only reason for it to exist is if you have enabled the point and click function to move, but its still active if you use normal movement. (lol)

Should be noted that I play with inverted mouse movement and it may or may not effect others, but its way too late for me to change back now. :/
pieceofmeat no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
MxCx
Initiate

MxCx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofmeat View Post
Just a partly relevant information for NGD and others that have shift key functionality issues.

The shift key have two function in RO client that can cause problems with movement, 1: cast from upper row, 2: it alters the way mouse turning act and instead turns your camera. I guess the only reason for it to exist is if you have enabled the point and click function to move, but its still active if you use normal movement. (lol)

Should be noted that I play with inverted mouse movement and it may or may not effect others, but its way too late for me to change back now. :/
My function [F] keys have a couple switchable function sets, that can make it a real pain to cycle through the separate hot bars. It's a lot more difficult to swap my spells quickly in battle.
MxCx no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
Awrath
Master

Awrath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Enio_ View Post
Since it took me a good hour to figure out a solution ill put it here for future reference.

If you have issues trying to cast Shift+key combinations while running, when your character stops by just by adding Shift to the already pressed movement key:
  • You need to disable the repeat function of your keyboard (when you hold a while writing you get alot of aaaaaa's)
You might have to google how to do that for your distro/wm. On cinnamon you can do this in dconf-editor, or via commandline with following commands.

Code:
# disable repeat functionality

# enable repeat functionality
I dont know why this is needed on linux, on windows this stopping doesnt happen with repeat on.

Reason on linux is, when adding shift to the already pressed w, a keyrelease event for W is issued which somehow stops the move. Without repeat W is not issued when adding Shift after w is already pressed.

Dont forget to reenable repeat after playing. Itd darn annoying (i forgot it right now. try to delete something with back key! *rofl*).

Best,
Code:
#!/bin/sh
kbrpt=$(gsettings get set org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.peripherals.keyboard repeat)

if [ "$kbrpt" == false ]; then
        echo "Keyboard repeat function enabled."
else
        echo "Keyboard repeat function disabled."
fi
A small shell script to use as a toggle, haven't tested it since I don't have cinnamon, but it should work! Just save this as a file (kbrpt.sh or w/e you prefer), then chmod +x it and just run it before you launch game. Should make your life a teeny bit easier, until NGD find their own workaround (ha).
Awrath no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
_Enio_
Marquis

Thanks Awrath, i have put the disabling repeat in my launcher script for rolauncher though, so i only have another to disable it afterwards. I was thinking if theres a way to launch that enabling repeat part automatically once the "game" process finishes.. But since its launched by "rolauncher" thats probably not too easy as launcher bypass doesnt work anymore i think.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:16 AM   #6
Awrath
Master

Quote:
Thanks Awrath, i have put the disabling repeat in my launcher script for rolauncher though, so i only have another to disable it afterwards. I was thinking if theres a way to launch that enabling repeat part automatically once the "game" process finishes.. But since its launched by "rolauncher" thats probably not too easy as launcher bypass doesnt work anymore i think.
No worries mate. The easiest thing to do is probably set up the small script above as a keyboard short cut and run it before & after RO. I can still bypass launcher, it just doesn't seem to work with GS accounts, or at least didn't, I haven't tried a GS account for a while. It also wont work if you haven't authorised the machine yet, otherwise still works well.

I do the same with compositing on XFCE, set up a small script + KB shortcut to disable compositing when I play the game for the extra 3-4 FPS on my toaster.

It could probably be achieved by polling for the pid of game in a shell script, I'll look into it when I can!

Edit:
Try:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# File should be placed in same directory as the game executable
# (or change the commands below accordingly) 

kbrpt=$(gsettings get set org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.peripherals.keyboard repeat)

if [ "$kbrpt" == false ]; then
        echo "Keyboard repeat function already disabled. Starting game..."
        ./game yourlogin yourmd5pw &
else
        echo "Keyboard repeat function disabled. Starting game..."
        ./game yourlogin yourmd5pw & echo $!
        while [ -d /proc/$! ] ; do
                sleep 1
        done && gsettings set org.cinnamon.settings-daemon.peripherals.keyboard repeat true && echo "Keyboard repeat function re-enabled."
fi
Again I only tested by setting the value of the variable manually, but, it should work as long as you can bypass the launcher. You'll obviously need to do some edits with regards to your login/user. You can also remove all the echos if you don't need the visual confirmation. Let me know how it goes!

Last edited by Awrath; 08-21-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
_Enio_
Marquis

Weird, somehow my md5 calculated pw wont work, but by sniffing the traffic i found out some other hash value that works. Isnt that md5 anymore?
Old 08-22-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
Awrath
Master

Quote:
Weird, somehow my md5 calculated pw wont work, but by sniffing the traffic i found out some other hash value that works. Isnt that md5 anymore?
I haven't changed my bypass script for years and it's still using the same md5 hash. What command are you using to generate the md5 hash of your PW? A common thing people forget is to include the -n flag in echo to omit the trailing newline from the hash.

Try
Code:
echo -n yourpassword | md5sum
. See if that matches what you got with your packet sniffer.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:09 AM   #9
_Enio_
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrath View Post
Try
Code:
echo -n yourpassword | md5sum
. See if that matches what you got with your packet sniffer.
/facepalm Thank you!

I forgot the newline is added without the -n option.. dammit!