This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #31
Znurre
Marquis

Znurre will become famous soon enoughZnurre will become famous soon enough

So, if we can all agree that well-coded OpenGL is faster than Direct3D, then also read this:
http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/201...in-opengl.html

Because of the superior network stack, you also get less latency when playing games in Linux than in Windows even if they are not native.
I also always have to wait for my friends when playing strategy games like TA3D because the resources simply takes about twice as long to load on Windows

Linux is the perfect gaming platform, it just lacks the games, but even that is slowly changing.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #32
ArcticWolf
Duke

ArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of lightArcticWolf is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znurre View Post

Linux is the perfect gaming platform, it just lacks the games, but even that is slowly changing.
That's a chicken and egg problem: we will continue to have problems attracting developers because there are not enough gamers, and gamers will not come while we don't get good games (and for that we need more developers). As a user and developer I want to change this!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #33
Arafails
Baron

Arafails will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znurre View Post
Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. The only perfect gaming platform is the human mind — especially in the case of role playing games, where the best ones still don't require a computer.

Although I have to say this about Linux as a gaming platform; It may be good for games, but not at the same time as it is good at being a desktop or a server.
The real advantage there of course, is that it is so easy with the one physical box to switch between the three.

idTech games (Quake, later Doom games, stuff based off or modded on top of them) are so smooth because of the amount of effort put into making them elegant, and, well, fast. It has little to do with the API used (John Carmack has said as much as that the API matters nothing compared to the hardware).

Wine faster than native? This is generally an effect of things that have little to do with graphics, and normally more to do with I/O.
In the case of Minecraft and anything that runs on bizarre GL abstraction frameworks for Java, it surprises me they run at all. Minecraft could probably have been made much faster by programming it in Python, which is neither the epitome of speed.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 AM   #34
TyLLy4
Pledge

TyLLy4 is on a distinguished road
Wink

I solved it.

For some reason when I wine it it defaults to fixed pipeline .... yet in OpenGL it tries to run shader 4.0 (witch its crap)

Because of the game.cfg bug in the ubuntu client i was under the impression that I had shader 1.0 and all settigns to minimun in native mode wich was NOT true .....

Once i followed the instructions in the forums to correct the bug and i was able to save my config the game ran without a hitch! ...

AMAZINGLY FAST!!!

Also found out that minecraft runs faster in wine because my launcher alters the task priority (nice value in linux) to give it preference over other tasks.

Anyways the game its GREAT and im loving it ..... the only I need right now its a place to show off my new siggy .....

You guys will have to do.

(if anyone wants a siggy add me on MSN or gtalk leolatino87 at gmail dot com)

Last edited by TyLLy4; 03-18-2011 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to subscribe
TyLLy4 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote