This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
e30G
Count

e30G will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Welcome back, Galynn!

The game's sdbs are around 4.2 GB so that might be your problem. Yes, downloading the launcher as you've been told and setting up "download all resources at once" can be a solution.

Nowadays, having only 4 GB for /tmp is not a good choice for a gaming PC.
Haha yes! I underestimated the amount of space my root directory would take. I might reinstall Ubuntu anyway. Too many mistakes in this installation. I'll give "/" more space when I repartition.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #12
andres81
Count

andres81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
We are poor and can only use non-licensed cross-platform installers
If I remember right your installer allows you to define the directory where to extract the data using the --temp option - at least that was what allowed me to install the game last time.
I think the best solution would be to set this option by default to the directory where the user actually wants to install the game and if for some reason you really need a different place for it
/var/tmp is a much better place than /tmp because /var/tmp has to be on the harddisc by posix definition and is supposed to be more consistent and useable for larger files than /tmp.

However extracting there 4,2GB is still a bit much and might be problematic but at least it is better than using /tmp which might be a tempfs (=storage in RAM) and in the future probably will be tempfs on most distros
andres81 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Adrian
NGD·Studios

Adrian will become famous soon enoughAdrian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres81 View Post
If I remember right your installer allows you to define the directory where to extract the data using the --temp option - at least that was what allowed me to install the game last time.
I think the best solution would be to set this option by default to the directory where the user actually wants to install the game and if for some reason you really need a different place for it
/var/tmp is a much better place than /tmp because /var/tmp ahs to be on the harddisc by posix definition and is supposed to be more consistent and useable for larger files than /tmp.

However extracting there 4,2GB is still a bit much and might be problematic but at least it is better than using /tmp which might be a tempfs (=storage in RAM) and in the future probably will be tempfs on most distros
Yes, I will test that next time I update the installers. Anyway, installers are almost deprecated in games as download managers have taken over. There should be a change there but finding a cross-platform download manager is not easy without paying a sum we can't afford, for now.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #14
Awrath
Master

Awrath is on a distinguished road

There are a number of solutions, the easiest of which is to use the installer via the command line, as e30 suggested.

Code:
mkdir ~/tmp
chmod +x ROInstall_64
./ROInstall_64 --mode console --temp /home/user/tmp/ --prefix /home/user/regnum/
Then let it do its thing and remove the tmp dir you created once it's done.

Another option is to remount tmpfs with more space but as this is based on your ram you run the risk of running out of ram. Other options include setting the temp dir to a physical location on your hard drive either in fstab or by remounting. Happy regnuming!
Awrath no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote