This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > General discussion

General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

View Poll Results: Do you cast Arcane Projection before you cast Sultar's Terror (in a war)?
Yes, always. 8 18.18%
Yes, most of the times. 16 36.36%
Yes, but only sometimes (few). 10 22.73%
No, never. 10 22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
AntibioTsu
Initiate

AntibioTsu is on a distinguished road

Yes, most of the times, because the other times:

a) I just dont need the extra range;
b) It's on c/d;
c) I forget to use it :P.

PS: I'm against range 0 anyway, 30 worked well. Atm, Terror works like the old range 0 Winter Stroke, which means you can catch ppl at 30+ range (and it works )
Old 07-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
Heglin
Initiate

Heglin is on a distinguished road

Rarely, i often just switch to medium/30 staff and then back again as fast as possible.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
Seher
Count

Seher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuku View Post
PS: I'm against range 0 anyway, 30 worked well. Atm, Terror works like the old range 0 Winter Stroke, which means you can catch ppl at 30+ range (and it works )
You can cast it on warriors at range 50 (But winter stroke deserved a nerf bwaha)

I use it to cast sultars, don't see why I shouldn't, works perfectly on level 1.
Seher no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
thegordo
Pledge

thegordo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulmanyar View Post
It might be the written language (and the fact that I'm not a native English speaker), but you almost seem offended by my question? Well, I don't know where to start, but I'll make a try to explain this poll/thread. And please, don't accuse me of trying to do my "utmost [...] to get it nerfed", since I'm only trying to understand what's causing my (sometimes bad) experiences of Sultar's Terror. But first, I'd like to point out that:
  • I mainly play a warlock on the higher populated server Ra.
  • I don't speak Spanish. So, yes, communication with my realm mates is a problem sometimes. But even on Horus this is a problem, since some (most?) people never listens to good advice, such as "spread out to avoid Terror".
  • When I play at Horus, I don't see the full problem with Terror as often, because of lower population.
  • This is not only about fort wars (I personally don't enjoy the actual pounding-doors-and-GCs part of the game as much as the open-field fights).

Then I'll start with your question about why I believe that Terror sometimes ruins good gameplay: When there are two armies with almost similar firepower and numbers, you could expect a fair fight where the tactically and/or more skilled side will win (most of the times). However, with the current implementation of Sultar's Terror, the result of the fight often boils down to a matter of which group is the first to cast a successful Terror on the other. After that, I often experience chain areas and a rush that completely eliminates the other army.

Yes, there are some ways to stop this: effective use of knights (nerfed), effective use of conjurers (nerfed), effective use of marksmen (nerfed), and better tactics (yes, this is a problem, and I really wish my realm could have better tactics sometimes).

So, instead of an exciting, fair fight between the two groups - where intensive care for keeping individuals in your group alive, and at the same time kill your enemies - we get a duel between the warlocks in each group. I can have 62% cast speed bonus, which allows me to cast Terror in 1.14s, so sometimes it's even only a matter of who's warlock has the best items. This is, in my opinion, one of the things that ruins gameplay, since the result of the fight is not a product of the skills of each individual.

If there was a good way for each player in both groups to cancel or negate the effect of Terror (using protective buffs or CC spells on warlocks) I believe this wouldn't have been such an issue. And since not a lot of classes have CC spells with 34.5m range I want to know if Arcane Projection is used by Warlocks in general, because then a change of range to 30 (as the old Terror) could be a solution to the problem. Another solution would be to replace Knockdown with Stun. Other solution could be strengthening knight buffs, add or change some auras, bring back range 0 of Winter Stroke etc.

As for my understanding of the concept "good gameplay", I think the best way to describe it is to use my own words, with some additions:

Interesting gameplay, where the key is intensive care for keeping individuals in your group alive and at the same time try to kill your enemies and stop them from killing you. As a part of this, no single character should have the power to drastically change the outcome of a fight, at least not without an imminent risk of interference or interruption.

But then again, "good gameplay" is a fuzzy concept as it is more of a feeling than something you can actually express in words.
Im on horus, and perhaps due to less numbers of players i dont see it being as much of a problem as you point out. I have the same cast speed as you, +7 staff,+5 gloves, +50 devotion. Those items were drops not epics, so are in a sense available to those who are lucky enough to get them, however we have choices as to what we wish to stack...and sometimes with fast casting its not enough to be first if you get hit from a longer range arrow. I am defensive of my spells, as i have seen so much "nerfs" to other classes and to my own, yes we have to adapt, but its caused a lot of upset for those who have invested many hours, days, weeks, and months, even years into the game only to have their character restricted in such ways it leads them to quit or to have to make another one. Of course that leaves us to look at ways as to how we have to deal with such changes, and being a lock who likes my terrors... to have it messed with would upset me muchly. Many of my battles in wz are varied in numbers, and many factors to take into account, before decisions are made when and how to cast terrors. I enjoy the game as it stands at the moment, it has its up's and downs, but we will all have various differing views of areas for different classes at the end of the day...
thegordo no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Ulmanyar
Initiate

Ulmanyar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegordo View Post
I am defensive of my spells, as i have seen so much "nerfs" to other classes and to my own, yes we have to adapt, but its caused a lot of upset for those who have invested many hours, days, weeks, and months, even years into the game only to have their character restricted in such ways it leads them to quit or to have to make another one. Of course that leaves us to look at ways as to how we have to deal with such changes, and being a lock who likes my terrors... to have it messed with would upset me muchly.
I understand that you want to defend your spells, we all do It's just that sometimes one has to look at the greater picture and try to see past our own classes and the current situation. I've played this game for quite some time now (this is not my first account), mostly as a warlock, and have seen many drastic nerfs and boost of different classes. This doesn't make me allmighty or "right", but at least it gives me some perspective to what it used to be - and I have to say that the warlock class is now really powerful. I don't know if this is your first account (created May this year), but I really understand your protectiveness if it is.

It's hard to tell from the changelogs, since they are not very detailed, but if I'm not mistaken the range of Terror was changed from 30m to 0 in the 1.0 update, along with the change of Wind Wall. At this time, the warlock was a weak(er) class and spells could still be canceled by walking behind the warlock. However, since a lot of the other classes have been nerfed, and the warlock has got stronger (in some aspects), I think that a minor change of Sultar's Terror won't destroy the class.

Now, I just want to find out what's the best way to change the spell(s) affecting the cast of Terror, and the Terror itself, in order to create a more enjoyable gameplay. That's the reason for this poll. My best bets right now are probably: either take back range 30, or change knock down to stun. Perhaps some other spells (such as Winter Stroke) could be changed too..
Ulmanyar no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote