This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 07-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
Nuer
Pledge

Nuer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Enio_ View Post
This issue survives a reboot?
yes, that was my first try!
rebooted many times, opened the RO launcher (and no other program), nothing changes

Quote:
When you meant your game froze, do you really mean it froze, or would you just not get further through the loading screen (when entering the game). I.e. did the loading bar keep moving to like 80%?

I can login normally, the first loading pages is OK, the client freezes as soon as I press "Play" button at the character selection screen.
the sound goes on playing the theme, but the screen is stuck, except for some twitches of the character.

any other program works fine while the RO client is frozen.
but if it's fullscreen I cannot switch to other programs (i.e. browser or file manager)

I tried to force safe mode, it looks like it solved the issue, I can press play and go to the next loanding screen: here the loading bar stops @15% and after a couple of minutes an error message appears: "you have been disconnected by the server, please try to relog" (or something similar).
OFC, trying to relog gives the same result.
Nuer no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #12
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

Can you try to press [Alt]+[P] while on character select and observe your ping?
First youll only see the top line "Server ping", then after pressing enter game at after 50% of the loading bar the "Gameplay ping" should get added.

So if that 2nd one doesnt show up, it might be some connection thing for the actual gameserver? Maybe some blocked ports or w/e.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #13
Ad Speciosum Puer
Banned

Ad Speciosum Puer is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Nuer, by no means am I an expert, but I have this same basic issue with my Linux version of RO. It loads the login screen, but crashes after 'play' is pressed & bar begins loading. It has done this for about 4 years now. It was said by experts back then that the issue was one of gtk-library incompatibilities, RO showing it's age, & the newest Linux LTR distros not being as backwards compatible as they could or should, but honestly idk at all. However, I do know that STEAM must have a workaround or somesuch built into it's RO-loader, as I can play this game thru STEAM, but cannot using the native Linux client. Hey, it's not a fix, but try it if you want to play RO: use STEAM.
Ad Speciosum Puer no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #14
Nuer
Pledge

Quote:
Can you try to press [Alt]+[P] while on character select and observe your ping?
First youll only see the top line "Server ping", then after pressing enter game at after 50% of the loading bar the "Gameplay ping" should get added.

So if that 2nd one doesnt show up, it might be some connection thing for the actual gameserver? Maybe some blocked ports or w/e.

when the client freezes, also the ping is frozen.
and this happens on the character selection screen, the loading screen doesn't even appear.

server ping is @150-250 ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Speciosum Puer View Post
Nuer, by no means am I an expert, but I have this same basic issue with my Linux version of RO. It loads the login screen, but crashes after 'play' is pressed & bar begins loading. It has done this for about 4 years now. It was said by experts back then that the issue was one of gtk-library incompatibilities, RO showing it's age, & the newest Linux LTR distros not being as backwards compatible as they could or should, but honestly idk at all. However, I do know that STEAM must have a workaround or somesuch built into it's RO-loader, as I can play this game thru STEAM, but cannot using the native Linux client. Hey, it's not a fix, but try it if you want to play RO: use STEAM.
I'll give Steam a try , tnx!

per aspera ad astra!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #15
_Enio_
Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuer View Post
when the client freezes, also the ping is frozen.
and this happens on the character selection screen, the loading screen doesn't even appear.
Oh ok, that seems really a system thing then, not connection related.
Might be worth trying steam first, maybe it fixes it.

However if not, let us know - i'll assist you in nailing down that issue.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:16 AM   #16
Nuer
Pledge

Quote:
Oh ok, that seems really a system thing then, not connection related.
Might be worth trying steam first, maybe it fixes it.

However if not, let us know - i'll assist you in nailing down that issue.
I tried Steam, with no result.

tried to launch the game twice, and twice the game froze as soon as I press "Play"

thank you so much, Enio, very kind of you
Old 07-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
_Enio_
Marquis

pity, lets see what its doing just before/while its frozen with the strace utility.

1. Get into char select, but windowed mode
  2. load up a shell and find out the Process id of the 'game' process (i.e. with ps or with top)
  3. Attach strace to the process by issuing 'strace -o <some_file_name> -p <the game PID>
  4. Press character select
  5. When game froze, wait some second and then cancel strace logging by issuing Ctrl+C on the shell where it is running
  6. The strace data is now in that file, it shouldnt contain private information, however to be sure, feel free to send me the link via pn. It might be big so uploading it or sharing via dropbox should work best.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:29 AM   #18
Ad Speciosum Puer
Banned

Ad Speciosum Puer is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
I tried Steam, with no result.

tried to launch the game twice, and twice the game froze as soon as I press "Play"

thank you so much, Enio, very kind of you
So sorry for wasting your time/effort, Nuer, but since I (& others) had gotten around 'this' with STEAM, I was truly hoping the same for you. Had to try, right? But, this is obviously some other this. Good luck all the same, & hope to see you both in-game real soon. Hop to, Enio!

/me crosses fingers....

Ad Speciosum Puer no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #19
Nuer
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Speciosum Puer View Post
So sorry for wasting your time/effort, Nuer, but since I (& others) had gotten around 'this' with STEAM, I was truly hoping the same for you. Had to try, right? But, this is obviously some other this. Good luck all the same, & hope to see you both in-game real soon. Hop to, Enio!

/me crosses fingers....

don't worry at all!!! It was a good idea, indeed!

Now, I don't want to be too optimistic but.... it looks like the problem solved the same way it appeared...by itself.

in the last 2 days I logged into the game with no problem, I was ready to try the procedure Enio told me, I started strace utility and clicked play...and after 4-5 seconds the loading page appeared and I smoothly went into the game.

anyway, I'll keep an eye open, if the issue is back I'll be ready!

thank you both!
Old 07-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #20
_Enio_
Marquis

Quote:
Now, I don't want to be too optimistic but.... it looks like the problem solved the same way it appeared...by itself.
Oh thats nice to hear! Lets hope it stays that way =)