This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Evangeline
Master

Evangeline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gnome shell

This game, unlike steam games, well im not able to switch between the game and my other windows using alt+tab (Gnome Shell), is it an issue with my distro or is it something that CoR doesn't support for gnome shell?

only way to switch is switching to window mode (alt + enter) and for some reason it sometimes blurs my screen of the game @.@ when i use low resolutions
Old 03-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Znurre
Marquis

Znurre will become famous soon enoughZnurre will become famous soon enough

It's because this game is a true fullscreen window in contrast to most Steam (SDL2?) games which only sends a hint to the window manager (Mutter in your case) to keep the window on top and to hide its window border.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
godismyjudge
Initiate

godismyjudge is on a distinguished road

It has nothing to do with how the application handles the fullscreen. The right way to do fullscreen IS actually to set the fullscreen hint for window manager, as SDL2 does. Regnum does it wrong (it creates window with override-redirect and sets size on the window, and if you have multimonitor setup, you end up with something you don't want).

But to the topic: when regnum is in fullscreen mode it grabs the keyboard and mouse, so no other application can listen to input events, not even the window manager. It ungrabs them when you switch it to windowing mode (alt+enter).

Even if it did fullscreen the same way as SDL2 and grabbed the keyboard, you wouldn't be able to use alt+tab. There is keyboard shortcut for X server that will force-ungrab the keyboard from application, but you must enable it first. Look for "XF86Ungrab". Note that this can be a security hole, as it allows to ungrab keyboard from screen locking applications (if you use one)
godismyjudge no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Evangeline
Master

reviving this thread, maybe Adrian can take a look at it :3
Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
Wi3ld
Master

Wi3ld is on a distinguished road

I notice after switching backwards and forwards from the CoR window it eventually just crashes. Kind of annoying, and would be nice if there were a fix for this at some point. Now that Surak is no longer with NGD, we need to feel like there's still some love for the Linux community. This would be a good start
Old 06-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Evangeline
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi3ld View Post
I notice after switching backwards and forwards from the CoR window it eventually just crashes. Kind of annoying, and would be nice if there were a fix for this at some point. Now that Surak is no longer with NGD, we need to feel like there's still some love for the Linux community. This would be a good start
i have a similar experience @fedora 19 @gnome shell

whenever i switch from window to fullscreen i loose fps, if i switch to window again i get them back, so the only way i can have decent fps is if i play window'd or if i dont leave fullscreen ever

also when i do this switch, the game looks a bit blurred in fullscreen

you get a core dumped error?

@thread topic (started by me) doing "xdotool key XF86Ungrab" has no effect whatsoever i still can't switch between windows using alt+tab on fullscreen
Old 06-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Wi3ld
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
i have a similar experience @fedora 19 @gnome shell

whenever i switch from window to fullscreen i loose fps, if i switch to window again i get them back, so the only way i can have decent fps is if i play window'd or if i dont leave fullscreen ever

you get a core dumped error?
Nah, no core dumps, but RAM and CPU usage is out of this world. I tried playing on OpenBSD (after building linux emu into the kernel ofc), but unfortunately it has this mechanism where it shuts down when your PC is under too much duress, so it kept turning itself off
Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #8
Evangeline
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi3ld View Post
Nah, no core dumps, but RAM and CPU usage is out of this world. I tried playing on OpenBSD (after building linux emu into the kernel ofc), but unfortunately it has this mechanism where it shuts down when your PC is under too much duress, so it kept turning itself off
you use windows and play on emulated linux environment? o.o
Old 06-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
Wi3ld
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
you use windows and play on emulated linux environment? o.o
Bahaha god no. OpenBSD and Debian. OpenBSD doesn't support running linux binaries out of the box (rolauncher for example), so you have to compile the kernel with linux emulation support for it to work.