Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > Technical Support > Linux

Linux Technical issues under Linux platform

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
Belegond
Pledge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Belegond is on a distinguished road
Default RO Launcher still crashes at launch ...

Hi everybody,

this is starting to get really frustrating. I have upgraded my computer about 2 months ago and made a clean install of Kubuntu.

I reinstalled RO at the same time.

Since then it crashes at launch. I don't even get to the part where you have to accept the license agreement.

It is the segmentation fault. So after searching for 2 months through the different forums, search engines etc ... I give up and ask for help.

I have even tried to install the game through Steam, to no avail.

This is my current configuration:

OS: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

- i5-3470
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 680
- 8 GB of RAM
- graphic driver is: nvidia-driver-390

I can paste the log output if it's any use.

Thanks for any help.
Belegond no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
forum2658a5c
Pledge
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
forum2658a5c is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegond View Post
Hi everybody,

this is starting to get really frustrating. I have upgraded my computer about 2 months ago and made a clean install of Kubuntu.

I reinstalled RO at the same time.

Since then it crashes at launch. I don't even get to the part where you have to accept the license agreement.

It is the segmentation fault. So after searching for 2 months through the different forums, search engines etc ... I give up and ask for help.

I have even tried to install the game through Steam, to no avail.

This is my current configuration:

OS: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

- i5-3470
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 680
- 8 GB of RAM
- graphic driver is: nvidia-driver-390

I can paste the log output if it's any use.
Thanks for any help.
Start it from terminal, show us the console output. [S]Is any library missing? If I remember correctly, regnum used old version of libpng, which is was not available in repositories and you had to copy it from package from older release.[/S] Or is it regular crash? There used to be crashes related to GTK library and theming. Try setting default gtk2 theme and default icon theme.

(What tag do I use for strikethrough text? Can't figure this out )
forum2658a5c no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
Belegond
Pledge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Belegond is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Thank you for your reply. I have launched from the terminal and got this error:

~/regnum$ ./rolauncher
libpng warning: Application jmp_buf size changed
Erreur de segmentation (core dumped)

Apparently there is an issue with some buffer.

This is after a clean install.
Belegond no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
_Enio_
Marquis
 
_Enio_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,846
_Enio_ will become famous soon enough
Default

Sounds like an issue with an incompatiblee png library.

Regnum needs version 12, newer ubuntu shipts version 16 afaik, im not sure. See if you can install package libpng12-0 via apt or some package-manager with gui. Report back, if it doesn't work that way you could manually place the correct libraries next to the rolauncher and game executables.
__________________
Fix the Marksman subclass: Suggestion
_Enio_ no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
Anpu
Count
 
Anpu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,322
Anpu will become famous soon enough
Default

Hello,
I also have issue with Regnum launching on Linux (Kubuntu 18.04).
I installed required libjpeg.so.62 and for libpng, which RO requires older version did:
Code:
wget -q -O /tmp/libpng12.deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpng/libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb \
  && dpkg -i /tmp/libpng12.deb \
  && rm /tmp/libpng12.deb
I also installed Adwaita GTK theme and set it as default theme for GTK apps.
When launching ./rolauncher, I get only:
Segmentation fault (core dumped)


The launcher shows for a second and then crashes. Is there something else that I am missing or that I can try?
__________________

Inquisition
Anpu no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
ieti
Count
 
ieti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Posts: 1,377
ieti is on a distinguished road
Default

It needs ncurses5-libs too. Last time i installed RO i needed to build this from AUR in order to run the game properly. It seems that RO still needs old libjpg (libjpeg6-turbo), libpng (libpng12) and ncurses (ncurses5-compat-libs) to run.

Please fix this NGD, because RO is having trouble running on new distributions.

Please run launcher in the console so you can see what it needs more.
__________________
RA | Ignis | Lilla My | Conjurer | EVIL IGNIS ROCK
Horus | Syrtis | ieti | Conjurer | INQUISITION | LONG GONE

Last edited by ieti; 02-13-2019 at 10:07 AM.
ieti no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
rinky
Initiate
 
rinky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 122
rinky is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieti View Post
It needs ncurses5-libs too. Last time i installed RO i needed to build this from AUR in order to run the game properly. It seems that RO still needs old libjpg (libjpeg6-turbo), libpng (libpng12) and ncurses (ncurses5-compat-libs) to run.

Please fix this NGD, because RO is having trouble running on new distributions.

Please run launcher in the console so you can see what it needs more.
The Windows 32-bit client runs fairly well in Wine. The Linux client hasn't been updated in years, from what I understand. An updated Linux client using more modern libraries would be a good thing.

One of the reasons I started playing this game was that it ran Native in Linux.
__________________
Syrtis, RA: Marila, Mariala, Marily, Mariliju, Marilise
rinky no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
Anpu
Count
 
Anpu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,322
Anpu will become famous soon enough
Default

I tried installing ncurses lib, but no luck, still Segmentation fault.
__________________

Inquisition
Anpu no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #9
Lilitha
Pledge
 
Lilitha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
Lilitha is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anpu View Post
I tried installing ncurses lib, but no luck, still Segmentation fault.
I had this same problem a while ago, so I used Steam client to launch the game, which worked fine.

I can't remember if I was trying the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the game when I was getting the error. In any case, Steam seems to be using 64-bit version.

Recently I downloaded the 64-bit version of the game and installed it without using Steam. This time it seems to work fine.

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 and have these packages installed (mentioned in the posts above):
libjpeg62
libncurses5
libncursesw5
libpng12-0
libpng12-dev

Libncurses5 and libjpeg62 are in the official repositories for Ubuntu 18.04.

Of course there might be something else affecting this also.

Hope this helps
__________________
Lilitha no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NGD Studios 2002-2016 © All rights reserved