This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > General discussion

General discussion Topics related to various aspects of Champions of Regnum

Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Llayne
Initiate

Llayne is on a distinguished road

The one thing that annoys be when people talk about balance is that they seem to think all the classes should be on equal footing. That is not Regnum online. This is an RvR game, not a PvP game. It is a game where 6 classes work together as a team.

Please stfu about class balance.
Llayne no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #12
DemonMonger
Marquis

DemonMonger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
The one thing that annoys be when people talk about balance is that they seem to think all the classes should be on equal footing. That is not Regnum online. This is an RvR game, not a PvP game. It is a game where 6 classes work together as a team.

Please stfu about class balance.
Relax and read what Chilko said about balancing pvp and rvr skills.
From the mouth of NGD pvp was stated.

Feel free to state your opinion about balance Droc.
DemonMonger no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonMonger View Post
Please answer the following questions seriously from your heart, and do not fear others verbally punking you for it. This is an effort to try to help us all see eye to eye as to what is going on in each of our minds for a greater understanding to the core problem of balance.

1) What do you feel it means when you hear that we need to balance the game?

Complaints about balance from seasoned players indicate there are flaws that leave people without options which leads to frustration. So when i think about balance my question is not how to make all classes equally powerful, but how to ensure all classes are fun to play. There would be no problem with weaker classes in straight fights that still are fun to play due to other valuable tools. So when i think about regnum balance, its how to make balance the fun (!=power) for all involved.

2) What do you feel it means when you hear RVR balance?
RvR balance is the balance of group fights in different environments. Opposed to PvP balance class synergies have to be taken into account. What additionally comes in here is to also ensure that the groups power stays on the same level, no matter the composition. (Here the fun of playing translates more to the power of the group, be it defensive or offensive power.)

3) Do you feel population effects RVR balance? (if yes how would you solve the issue)
Since i see RvR balance not related to the difference in numbers, no.

4) Do you feel 1vs1 balance is important in a Realm vs Realm game? (why?)
Yes it obviously is important since its all about fun, and many encounters translate into 1vs1 fights, at least temporarily. Note my answer to question 1 though, that fun != equal power. (Options that means, eg. 1v1 you might be weaker but you have tools that might allow you to recover/flee if it goes the wrong way.)

5) Do you consider a 1vs1 battle of two people from different realms RvR <realm vs realm combat>? (why?)
I consider any encounter in the wz a RvR battle, but when discussing i prefer to distinguish PvP and RvR, one for considering no class synergies and the other with.

6) What would a 1vs1 battle be of people in the same realm with duel banner?
A straight up PvP ( see 5) ) fight with additional rules.

7) Then is dual banner a valuable tool in checking balance?(why)
Here is the question for your definition of balance. For RvR balance( see 2) ), no of course not since you lack out all class synergies and valuable but not kill related tools. For PvP Balance ( see 4) ), no of course not, here its a straight fight to death starting on a set distance, no element of surprise, limited space to move and - its not quite mannered to eg. flee, recover and attack again. Its a nice thing to test stuff but it has nothing to do with warzone 1v1s.

8) Is the battle arena a valuable tool in checking balance? (why)
see 7).

9) Do you feel all classes should have a chance to defeat each other fairly in 1vs1 combat?
No, but players should have options to still have fun (ways to flee, change tides by smart tactics etc.) and have a chance to either get away or defeat the opponent against the odds by provoking mistakes. ( Options to have their actions have a purpose ).
Example: Imagine a situation where all classes are similarly powerful in straight up 1vs1 fights but one class has access to a powerful area (or whatever else tool with special synergies). This is exactly why balancing is such a difficult task. To manage the goups synergied power to match while maintaining a constant level of fun in the 1vs1 aspects.

0) Do you feel all classes have the ability to defeat each other in 1vs1 combat?
Let me chane that a bit: "Do you feel all classes have the ability to have fun in 1vs1 combat, even if they might be weaker there on purpose?" No.

~) What level must you aquire before you can feel any balance in combat situations in the warzone?
Once you have the mana and the PP to get and use a configuration with enough tools to have fun. Id say lvl 45 is a good value for most classes.

Thanks for your time and honesty.
Thanks for these questions, since i was curious to read others opinions i filed mines here too. Answers in this color which should be somewhat readable for both styles.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
n1ghtchill
Pledge

n1ghtchill is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll just answer a few,

Quote:
That something with class balance is drastically wrong, but 95% of the time it turns out to be that players are the thing wrong with their classes since they don't take time to learn them, instead prefer to whine on forums.

Quote:
3) Do you feel population effects RVR balance? (if yes how would you solve the issue)
It affects the balance in a way that one realm has more in numbers at a given time. Player retention is the issue here, aka not enough of quality content (aside the perpetual war which tends to get boring sometimes) to keep the players glued to the game. Oh and chronic lack of advertising/promotion of the game by it's developers.

Quote:
No. Because it is a RvR game where things are balanced on a bigger level then such low level stuff as 1v1. Team effort is what counts, not solo effort (even tho sometimes it's nice to do some heroic stuff ). To me, the most important thing is to keep things balanced on a global scale and imo pvp balance can never be accomplished in such a game, because it wasn't even made with 1v1 combat in mind to start with.

Quote:
5) Do you consider a 1vs1 battle of two people from different realms RvR <realm vs realm combat>? (why?)
Yes. For ego-boost, glory and acknowledgment from other realms and realm mates (something I've managed to achieve ).

Quote:
9) Do you feel all classes should have a chance to defeat each other fairly in 1vs1 combat?
Why, but not in a way that re-balancing the classes and skills for 1v1 and upset RvR mechanics by doing so. I remember from old days of Horus that no matter how one class was overpowered (hunters for instance), there were ways for skilled players to win, without starting balance threads and general whine fest on forums saying something is wrong with the game.
n1ghtchill no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #15
standistortion
Master

standistortion is on a distinguished road

To many different areas for a single word. The main issues for me atm are that skill and good teamwork are no match against a zerg or over powerfull characters.

Want

Yes, very tricky to solve though. Limiting loggins or access to the WZ would work, wouldnt make many folks happy though and would need forced loggouts as low population realms loggout. Boost guard strength and numbers? Boost mana and HP? No idea, will think about it though.

I don't but I do respect it matters to others. I dont think an equally skillful lvl 60 conj should be able to defeat a lvl 40 barb but do think a skillful lvl 40 barb should be able to defeat an untalented lvl 60 barb.

Question answers its self. Yes, the are from different realms.

As above, fun.

As above, only for certain classes due to range limitations.

Idk, dont use it much.

Certainly not.

0) Do you feel all classes have the ability to defeat each other in 1vs1 combat?
No, but do feel the situation has changed a lot over the last year, not much of it in a good way.

~) What level must you aquire before you can feel any balance in combat situations in the warzone?
Depends on class. Lvl 50 is to low for my lock, lvl 30 would be ok for conj. I feel RO would benefit a lot with development in this area, difference in lvl's should be important (no other reason for all the f***ing grinding) but feel player skill (including teamwork) should matter more.

Thanks for the thread.
standistortion no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Caroline_Noir
Pledge

Caroline_Noir is on a distinguished road

Balance is for me to even out the classes so that every class is fun to play. Situations where one class is defeated be another class and never having a chance to win OR to escape shouldn't happen.
I'm always very curious about balance changes since it means that you propably have to get a new skill setup and/or you need to aply new tactics in the game.

When we talk about RvR i think about a zerg vs zerg fight.
Lately RvR balance has a bad ring in my ears.
The reason for this is that recent changes made fights appear mostly in army sized battles and hunting parties become more and more unpopular, which I liked the most.
I think the spell "horn of the wind" is to blame for this, since it is so powerful that everyone wants to fight with a warmaster or even better two or more.
If you have no WM in your group you will simply die to a group with WMs without any chance to escape. And hunting alone makes no point even if you are a WM since you need an ally to cast HotW.
This reduces the number of groups in the WZ so that those groups which are left have nothing to hunt anymore (besides grinders which is overkill). So even those groups disappear and what is left are only the big battles.
That's why I think introducing area/aura spell is nice but there shouldn't to many (or too powerful) ones.

More or less. Sure the outnumbered realm has less chances to capture the gems or to defend theirs but being outnumbered can be fun too.
You simply have to look for battles you can win and shouldn't stay where you can only lose. If you do that you can have fun too.

Yes. Regnum is a team-play game so much is true, but that shouldn't stop people from being able to explore the WZ alone.
If 1vs1 is not balanced and you happen to meet the class that beats yours 100% with no chance of escape, exploring on your own is no option anymore thus reducing the options for you to have fun in the game.

Since I associate RvR with Zerg vs Zerg battles: no.

Its a duel alright but is very different from the fights in the WZ.
I would only do that for testing bows or armor.

Hmm... not completely. Many espects are missing to check all the balance, manly space and the influence of other players.

You might have the influence of other players there but space is still an issue. You cannot kite opponents properly and there is no cover in the arena.
So you can't check balance here completely as well.

No but if they can't win, they should have a chance to escape.
I'm talking in Ra standards here. Escape usually means on Ra to get to you next allies and that means about 1 min running at most... depends on your position on the map.

Defeat each other... no... but the weaker class usually had the chance to escape untill there was Horn of the Wind introduced.

Hard to say. It depends on who you are fighting. When alone you should have the skills to escape higher level players and in big battles you kinda have to be lucky that no high level player kills you over and over again.
The best thing to do in a zerg fight would be to skill your char for support and go around most of the dangers by staying in the 2nd line. This can be a lot of fun too and you don't need a high level... maybe around 40+.
But if you want to experience balanced 1on1 fights you should be max level or close below.
Caroline_Noir no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote