This forum is closed for posting. Please, join us in our Discord server at discord.gg/regnum. See you there!

Go Back   Champions of Regnum > English > The Inn

The Inn A place to gather around and chat about almost any subject

Old 02-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Kyrottimus
Baron

Kyrottimus will become famous soon enough
Default Frosk

I wanted to bring something to attention that involves our community more than our game.

As a salesman, I deal with lots of people on a regular basis. Let's just say this has caused me to feel jaded in my faith of humanity.

I'm willing to venture a guess that Frosk's job is even more stressful, as people can sling criticism and animosity around without having to look someone in the eye while saying it.

He's one guy people. Not just dealing with the English server community, but the Spanish as well.

We're not entitled to weekly EXP bonuses. While they are nice, it seems like he's doing it (was doing it) as a gesture of good will.

Let's take a step back and try to look at his job objectively. I seriously doubt it's a very fun job for him. Everyone seems so demanding of him. No, he's not perfect but none of us are.

Kailer, Wyatt, DkySven, Zombrex, etc. all had their forays into being community managers or counsellors of some sort. It's a highly stressful job. I don't blame any of them. I for one know I don't have the patience or fortitude to put up with an internet crowd.

I once was a moderator of an internet forum related to my field of work, and I didn't last long.

The reason I made this post is not to kiss Frosk's ass. I don't even know him and it's debatable whether he's a really cool guy or the complete opposite. But that's my point, without knowing him why be so critical?

In several places I've seen heavy criticism of him and his actions. Ok, that's to be expected but people...take a step back and look at the responsibilities he's required to do in order to perform his job.

This isn't GameSamba (thank god), the GM's/Devs here don't go Super-Saiajin Fascist on your ass the second you say a naughty word like "ass". This is supposed to be the international adult community.

If we're all expected to be adults here, or at least rise to the maturity level of an adult, why not be a little more patient?

In short: Give the man a f*cking break! He hasn't crossed the line (yet); if and when he does we'll have room to criticise.

I'm only 30 and I already pretty much hate everyone alive like a grumpy old man. This community needs to be closer and tighter knit (how it used to be). Not have a wedge driven between us.

No, we're never going to agree on everything. But we can have respectful discussion and discourse without intimidation, trolling or antagonising. Let's help make his job less stressful and stop bickering about the small stuff in a Game.

We're all in this game, let's have a sense of camaraderie and work together to try to make it better. All 3 realms have people in them. While our scheduling might differ we're still f*cking people and probably share a lot more in common with each other in one way or another than one might expect.

I'm sure we all like to unwind and try to have fun (or else why would we be investing so much time and effort into a game?). Well, let's stop treating this like a session of Congress or Parliament and casually have some fun.

And Frosk, kudos for your patience dude. I for one do not have what it takes to do your job.
Kyrottimus no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
PT_DaAr_PT
Baron

PT_DaAr_PT is on a distinguished road

It's nice and cool that you respect Frosk's position but did you really write all this because 2 or 3 people seriously complained about no XP bonus last friday? Who cares.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Baron

71175 is on a distinguished road

Only i really glad we didn't had this war killer this week? finaaalllly some action on Saturday <3
71175 no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Psynocide
Master

Psynocide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrottimus View Post
I'm only 30 and I already pretty much hate everyone alive like a grumpy old man.
I share a similar attitude and am only 18, go figure.

OT: As far as community managers go, he's alright; there have been worse for sure.
My one criticism however is you're a total kill-joy sometimes, Frosk
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
_Enio_
Marquis

_Enio_ will become famous soon enough

Dunno what happened or what kind of usual bashing is going on, but fully support this position.

The medium were using is prone for forgetting or ignoring the fact that its just people like you and me that you are facing, and nobody is perfect. You dont have to like anyone. You dont have to be close with anyone. You dont have to agree with anyone. Just treat eachother with some respect.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Kyrottimus
Baron

Kyrottimus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_DaAr_PT View Post
It's nice and cool that you respect Frosk's position but did you really write all this because 2 or 3 people seriously complained about no XP bonus last friday? Who cares.
It's more than just in forum. It's people bitching in IRC and in game too. I'm just seeing a lot of that sort of thing lately...and it irks me.
Kyrottimus no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Wyatt
Count

Wyatt will become famous soon enoughWyatt will become famous soon enough

I've had numerous conversations with Frosk regarding many sorts of game related and forum related activities and I can honestly say without a doubt that he's doing an awesome job in the forums and managing the community as a whole.

No job is easy and I am sure being a Community Manager isn't as well, he is just following the tasks required by him as a Community Manager.

Kudos to Frosk and others that have done a great job and continue to do so.

Regards and enjoy your Sunday!
Wyatt no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Frosk
Banned

Frosk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrottimus View Post
I wanted to bring something to attention that involves our community more than our game.

As a salesman, I deal with lots of people on a regular basis. Let's just say this has caused me to feel jaded in my faith of humanity.

I'm willing to venture a guess that Frosk's job is even more stressful, as people can sling criticism and animosity around without having to look someone in the eye while saying it.

He's one guy people. Not just dealing with the English server community, but the Spanish as well.

We're not entitled to weekly EXP bonuses. While they are nice, it seems like he's doing it (was doing it) as a gesture of good will.

Let's take a step back and try to look at his job objectively. I seriously doubt it's a very fun job for him. Everyone seems so demanding of him. No, he's not perfect but none of us are.

Kailer, Wyatt, DkySven, Zombrex, etc. all had their forays into being community managers or counsellors of some sort. It's a highly stressful job. I don't blame any of them. I for one know I don't have the patience or fortitude to put up with an internet crowd.

I once was a moderator of an internet forum related to my field of work, and I didn't last long.

The reason I made this post is not to kiss Frosk's ass. I don't even know him and it's debatable whether he's a really cool guy or the complete opposite. But that's my point, without knowing him why be so critical?

In several places I've seen heavy criticism of him and his actions. Ok, that's to be expected but people...take a step back and look at the responsibilities he's required to do in order to perform his job.

This isn't GameSamba (thank god), the GM's/Devs here don't go Super-Saiajin Fascist on your ass the second you say a naughty word like "ass". This is supposed to be the international adult community.

If we're all expected to be adults here, or at least rise to the maturity level of an adult, why not be a little more patient?

In short: Give the man a f*cking break! He hasn't crossed the line (yet); if and when he does we'll have room to criticise.

I'm only 30 and I already pretty much hate everyone alive like a grumpy old man. This community needs to be closer and tighter knit (how it used to be). Not have a wedge driven between us.

No, we're never going to agree on everything. But we can have respectful discussion and discourse without intimidation, trolling or antagonising. Let's help make his job less stressful and stop bickering about the small stuff in a Game.

We're all in this game, let's have a sense of camaraderie and work together to try to make it better. All 3 realms have people in them. While our scheduling might differ we're still f*cking people and probably share a lot more in common with each other in one way or another than one might expect.

I'm sure we all like to unwind and try to have fun (or else why would we be investing so much time and effort into a game?). Well, let's stop treating this like a session of Congress or Parliament and casually have some fun.

And Frosk, kudos for your patience dude. I for one do not have what it takes to do your job.
First of all, thank you guys for your support.

Now, getting into what I've quoted and what Daar said: Those bonuses I sometimes give, have proven to be some sort of a double-edged weapon.

I mean, sure, it has an inmediate effect where everybody gets happy, they appreciate it as a gift (in fact, it is a gift) and an inmense amount of positive feedback gathers up instantly.
But what happens when people starts to take those bonuses as something they own, as something that belongs to them as a right, as something they get too used to and becomes a routine? what happens when people do not take bonuses as something that they should be grateful for?

Well, as soon as a bonus doesn't show up when they expected it, they complain for not receiving something they think that belongs to them. Well, this kind of attitude is quite normal for humans when you give someone a present.

You may take as an example the fact of a 14 years old kid that stops receiving Christmas presents because he grew up, after a whole life of expecting a "surprise" (it actually isn't a surprise since he knows he'll get a present) every Dec. 25th. and complains at his parents for this.
You also may take the example of a kid that receives something that he didn't want and starts crying, screaming and in some cases, telling their parents that the present sucks and that they don't love him or some sort of childish and stupid thing like that.

In that case they may ignore those demands from their child, or just tell him to f*** off. Eventually the kid will feel like crap for his attitude, going back to his mom/dad all by himself to say "hey, I'm sorry".

In my case, I take the first option, because I prefer the fact that users get to realize what they did wrong, whether they apologize later or not, and because it wouldn't be too nice to take a "f*** off!" from an admin
On a sidenote, when someone gets annoying, measures can be taken of course.

When it comes to this, or to senseless complains as "hey I got zerg'd 35 times in the same spot and I can't grind, NGD has to do something about it!" and similar, I just ignore them.
Basically because they're not adding something useful to the forum, and therefore, they're not being any helpful to me; they're just whining.

As I've said before, I appreciate your concern, but complaints and other pointless stuff I get to read sometimes are something I'm already mentally prepared for (since I got here as an admin/mod I've received a huge load of compliments on my patience, from both english and spanish communities Thanks everyone!) but that's just the way I am.

Anyway, just in case you notice an inmature behaviour in the forum, please proceed to use the Report tool and together we'll clean it up so those users that DO help us with their feedback have a place to post, report, and have a good time virtually together. These would be really helpful for me, and specially for you. Besides, add to this that I'm scaling up and I'm progressively taking more tasks for the company ^^

Regards! and thanks again! \o/
Frosk no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Psynocide
Master

Psynocide is on a distinguished road

In short, a bonus is no longer a bonus if it becomes routine.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
Seher
Count

Seher is on a distinguished road

Plus it's not even seen as a bonus by everyone. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosk View Post
In that case they may ignore those demands from their child, or just tell him to f*** off. Eventually the kid will feel like crap for his attitude, going back to his mom/dad all by himself to say "hey, I'm sorry".
Sorry to disappoint you, but the average child is way smarter than the average internet user. :P (Recalling how dumb some of them are actually helps dealing with them, hehe)

Anyway, you do look like you've got a rather thick skin, so I'm not worried at all there. I just wish you good luck that you don't wear down as time passes!

DISCORD!
Seher no ha iniciado sesión   Reply With Quote